Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
mucho aggro
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on today's ride - my front code return spring seems to have shot craps.

after I squeeze it, the lever doesn't seem to snap back like it did just last ride!

NOTE: pads come back out - doesn't effect braking! - only effect the feel of the lever (now, like crap!)

any cures? spring issue or ?? SRAMs site seems to be on the rebuild and i can't find any exploded lever diagrams to work with...

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Ditto, my code5 rear seems to have the same issue. Braking is great, no issues there. But the lever return is slow instead of snappy like my other lever. I am hoping something just got out of place inside the lever.

Anyone else have any ideas??

·
mucho aggro
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rode with some friend's yesterday - Make that 2 more people with slow lever return - that is, until they bled them....that seems to cure it.

My front went back as a "warranty" - the new one is about the same.

·
Registered
467 Posts
One of my Code levers is doing the same thing. It feels sluggish while returning to home position. I am going to try a bleed to see if that helps, but I cleaned & lubed the lever, cam, spring, and housing to no avail.

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
Bleeding, cleaning, lubing doesn't work. SRAM will replace it, take it back to the shop you bought it from and they can get it swapped out with SRAM.

·
Registered
467 Posts
jschwart73 said:
Bleeding, cleaning, lubing doesn't work. SRAM will replace it, take it back to the shop you bought it from and they can get it swapped out with SRAM.
That would be quite nice and all, but I bled the system and it works like new again.

Any further instance and they go back at once!

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
RudeSechsVibe said:
That would be quite nice and all, but I bled the system and it works like new again.

Any further instance and they go back at once!
It's been my experience that the bad behavior is intermittent and a bleed masks it for a certain amount of time. Good luck and here's to hoping it won't come back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
amorphous said:
on today's ride - my front code return spring seems to have shot craps.

after I squeeze it, the lever doesn't seem to snap back like it did just last ride!

NOTE: pads come back out - doesn't effect braking! - only effect the feel of the lever (now, like crap!)

any cures? spring issue or ?? SRAMs site seems to be on the rebuild and i can't find any exploded lever diagrams to work with...
I have a lever return problem with my front code as well and there is brake fluid leaking from the pad control knob, i took it to the shop i bought it and they told me it was a overflow valve which is B.S in a hydraulic system, i have tried bleeding and no difference. i think the slack in the return is the system taking in air but only in the holding chamber, braking is still fine but for what they are worth i am not impressed, i am going back to the shop tomorrow and demanding a replacment less than 4 months of riding

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, here's my update..

The issue came back. I was doing a general tune-up for spring (cabin fever setting in) and noticed my lever when straight to the grip without any resistance. Called SRAM and they are going to warranty the lever and caliper.

I bought the brakes online, but taking them to the LBS for warranty claim. SRAM is going to shorten the hose to my specs and bleed the system for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
RudeSechsVibe said:
Well, here's my update..

The issue came back. I was doing a general tune-up for spring (cabin fever setting in) and noticed my lever when straight to the grip without any resistance. Called SRAM and they are going to warranty the lever and caliper.

I bought the brakes online, but taking them to the LBS for warranty claim. SRAM is going to shorten the hose to my specs and bleed the system for me.
I recommend ditching them alltogether. I went through several sets of brakes on SRAM's dime through warranty and the issue continued to return. I even had some jerk of a shop owner tell me that I didn't know how to bleed brakes and 'I' was the culprit. He continued to belittle me in front of some of his customers "It's people like you that think they know what they are doing...I'm trained...I've been to workshops..." Then he proceeded to attempt tearing down the lever and gave up when he couldn't get the lever assembly off saying that it must have been me that really fubared it. I should have walked away when he told me the second I walked in the door with the rear brake set in one hand, 'You need a lever rebuild it will cost you $75.00 and this was on a BRAND new lever and caliper with ZERO hours.

Rant over. The brakes are awesome when they are working. My bike was constantly down though as I waited for warranty levers to be sent. The last set that I had I bled immediately as I cut the new hose to fit my frame, check out the fluid I drew out of the NEW lever:

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4452614636_9cdb4cf6c5_b.jpg

I flushed everything with new Motul 5.1 and on a whim, exactly two days later bled again and the fluid I pulled out looked like the original dirty fluid. I wish that I took a picture of the inside of the lever assembly, the reservoir is not 'finished' and was degrading metal pieces into the fluid. This lever also developed the 'slow return' issue. I sent it back for yet another warranty replacement then sold the new front and rear brake set on ebay.

To this day, that bike still sits in my bike room without disc brakes. I've been rolling around on my UK only Trek 8900 with XTR V-brakes. NEVER had a problem, light as hell, and lever return is surprisingly snappy...who needs discs anyways?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have the moss or galvanized version? Did you cut the lines or leave them original? I looked into so many variables with these brakes, but the down time and frustration was grating. I'm looking for a comparable brake, thinking of Hope.

·
Registered
467 Posts
@jcayce:

I have the galvanized color and I custom-cut both the F/R hoses. Only the front lever had the issue. The rear has been going strong going into it's third season.

I also had dark specs in my fluid, but it hasn't effected performance thus far. I don't know what to make of that, but another thread assured me that no one had problems with performance attributed to the content of the fluid. While in talks with SRAM over the replacement I asked about this and they didn't have an answer. I'd like to know more, but not too worried about it. Still, it's a confidence thing for people..

As for just ditching these brakes...well, I don't have the money for a whole new comparable system. So far the newly-warranted brake lever is holding up fine. Typically after a month the lever would start to get VERY mushy, so I hope all is well. But, of course, I will report back if the problem returns *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't have the funds for a whole new system either so this:

https://flic.kr/p/1225726745
is gathering dust while I put miles on this:

https://flic.kr/p/1226589386
I had problems with both the moss gray version and the new galvanized. Some of my replacement levers felt good and strong initially with snappy lever response. The bike had considerable down time in my bike room while work was busy and I had other bikes to ride so it was on a rotation where it would be down for months at a time. I feel as if mfg. tolerances are the culprit and wish that I would have found a solution. Early on, when the brakes first came out, I immediately jumped on the bandwagon and was in awe about the amount of stopping power available.

If possible, let the bike 'sit' for a few weeks and check back in with us to see if there is any difference.

Just a thought...maybe it was the Motul?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem here...avide code 5..rear issue. The return on the lever is sluggish. Could it be from the cold. I don't really think that(14 deg celsius)...:skep: I saw a diagram for the lever...and there is a difference in the 2007 to 2008 lever design in the juicy 5. I know that the codes 5 are replicas of Juicy 5...but in the 2008 model there is a spring there. I've attached an image for you to see. Maybe we can change the internals of a code 5 with the internals of a juicy 5 2008 version. (The 6b with the 6c- you will get it once you see the picture...)

\\\cheers\\\

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.