Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I installed my Codes on my bike about 3 months ago. Trimmed the front line down with a Jagwire hydro-line cutter, and installed a new fitting. Re-installed everything per manufacturers instructions, bled the brake, and everything worked fine.

About three weeks (and two rides) later, I grab my bike and flip it upside down in my garage. All of the sudden, the rear brake lever sinks all the way to the bar. I figure that since I only bled the front, that the bad factory SRAM bleed to the rear brake probably left some air in the line, so I bleed it and it works great. I ride it 4 or 5 times over the next month, and no problems. Everything is perfect.

Flash forward: the bike sits on my patio for about 3 weeks without any riding or movement. I go outside, and I'm fiddling with my bikes. I pull on the front brake lever, and the lever sinks all the way to the bars. I check the rear, and the rear is perfectly fine. The bike hasn't been ridden, jostled, or moved in over 3 weeks.

I've bled Hayes and Avids before and I've never had this problem.

Are their pockets inside the Code calipers/levers that can trap massive air bubbles? Or has anyone else found that they leak air into the lines?

I can't figure this out. :confused:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Air has a habit of rising up and also is known to suck it's self to a corner and hang on for dear life. Guess is there was still air in the system & from sitting rose to the top. Re bleed but make sure to tap & straighten any corners ala banjo bolt. Once you feel you have the air all out tie the lever down over night with a zip tie then release the next day & see how it feels. :thumbsup:

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I find that the rubber coated handle of a cone wrench or similar works great for tapping on the various brake components while doing a bleed to help jar loose any trapped air. Worked great for me so far.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If you have the older Code with the banjo, bleeding can get a bit tricky, air gets stuck around there.

Tap the lines and caliper while bleeding. You can hang the caliper directly below the lever. You can also zip tie the lever down, give the caliper and line a few taps, and then leave it overnight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.