Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if there was any difference in the calipers for difference rotor sizes or is it just a different mounting bracket. Reason I ask is that I have 185mm rotors right now, but it is overkill for the application so I would like to loose some weight and rotational mass and move down to the 160's. Also, I had a pair of BB5's on an old bike and they seemed a lot lighter than the BB7's on my current ride...this is where my first question stems from. Thanks!!!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
jk said:
Probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if there was any difference in the calipers for difference rotor sizes or is it just a different mounting bracket. Reason I ask is that I have 185mm rotors right now, but it is overkill for the application so I would like to loose some weight and rotational mass and move down to the 160's. Also, I had a pair of BB5's on an old bike and they seemed a lot lighter than the BB7's on my current ride...this is where my first question stems from. Thanks!!!
You can order the new adapters here.

What rotors are you switching to for your rotational weight savings? Alligator Windcutters and the Ashima Airotors are about the lightest steel rotors you can get and are inexpensive. Both are best used with the Avid sintered pads or EBC Gold pads.

BB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, excellent thoughts on the rotors and thanks for the link...good price on those mounts for sure!!! One question: are the stock avid pads sintered so that I can use them with the rotors mentioned?

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
it's the same brake with a different adapter.

remember to check if your fork is a post mount or an IS mount before ordering tho.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
jk said:
Hmmm, excellent thoughts on the rotors and thanks for the link...good price on those mounts for sure!!! One question: are the stock avid pads sintered so that I can use them with the rotors mentioned?
I always recommend new pads with new rotors, your current pads have bed in to your current rotor, to get optimal braking performance replace the pads when you do the rotors

and yes the stock avid pads are sintered

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.