Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, just wondering if any one has used both avid speed dial 7s and avid speed dial sl's. I will be running them with bb7s and xtr cables. The sl's are twice the price so curious if it's worth it...

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Sl's are just a little, tiny bit lighter. Honestly, no point in paying more. I have the 2010 Speed Dial 7's now. Great lever. I recommend!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if the cost-benefit makes sense here but I'm thinking of doing the mentioned setup in the OP over juicy 5s. Still trying to decide on rotor sizes. Don't think it matters but this will be on a 29er...

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
With a 29er, definitely go with a 180 or 185 on the front minimum, if not a 203 depending on your size, and a 160mm on the rear.

I've ran the BB7's, Avid SD7 levers, Jagwire Ripcord full length cables, with Alligator serrated rotors. Great brake combo.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
frdfandc said:
With a 29er, definitely go with a 180 or 185 on the front minimum, if not a 203 depending on your size, and a 160mm on the rear.

I've ran the BB7's, Avid SD7 levers, Jagwire Ripcord full length cables, with Alligator serrated rotors. Great brake combo.
Bike probably can't handle 203. I'd stick with 180 or 185. Seems SD7's, jagwire, bb5's or 7's and alligator rotors are the way to go!

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
jdefran said:
Can't handle in what sense? Won't fit, too powerful...?
As in, it will put too much stress on the front end of the bike. Which could lead to a damaged fork/headtube.

·
Registered
555 Posts
frdfandc said:
Yes use the BB7's. The BB5's are not good brakes. The do work very good when the pads are new but lose about half their power when the pads get a little over half worn. If you could adjust the outer pad, like on the BB7, this problem would not exist. I also have used the Hayes MX series cable brakes and they are not good either. They're actually worse than the BB5's. In fact any mechanical brake system where the moving pad is non - adjustable will have this problem.

The bb7's are like hydros in that you have full power for the entire pad life - as long as you adjust them properly.

However, bb5's are not bad as long as you don't try to get full pad life out of them. When the pads get really low, they have less power than entry level V-brakes. If one was able to shim the moveable pad out an 1/8" when they get worn down - all would be well.

Avid should be ashamed of this design. They already had the perfect cable brake and then came out with this BB5 crap. I guess they felt the had to compete with Promax, Hayes and Shimano for lowest end of the market.:rolleyes:

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Well, My bike is about 5 months old. So I haven't worn the BB5's down enough. If this happens, I'll get some bb7's!
Yes use the BB7's. The BB5's are not good brakes. The do work very good when the pads are new but lose about half their power when the pads get a little over half worn. If you could adjust the outer pad, like on the BB7, this problem would not exist. I also have used the Hayes MX series cable brakes and they are not good either. They're actually worse than the BB5's. In fact any mechanical brake system where the moving pad is non - adjustable will have this problem.

The bb7's are like hydros in that you have full power for the entire pad life - as long as you adjust them properly.

However, bb5's are not bad as long as you don't try to get full pad life out of them. When the pads get really low, they have less power than entry level V-brakes. If one was able to shim the moveable pad out an 1/8" when they get worn down - all would be well.

Avid should be ashamed of this design. They already had the perfect cable brake and then came out with this BB5 crap. I guess they felt the had to compete with Promax, Hayes and Shimano for lowest end of the market.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
Well, My bike is about 5 months old. So I haven't worn the BB5's down enough. If this happens, I'll get some bb7's!
Pretty powerful when they're new, huh? I'd say they're as powerful as BB7's. They don't feel really weak until they're worn more than half way. The trouble is, as they're wearing, they get weaker by the day. You don't feel it too much as you're getting used to the lower power. When you get to a certain amount of wear you may notice that It now takes quite a bit of hand pressure to stop the bike. You can probably stop your bike now with 1 or 2 fingers. That will change to all 4 fingers. And if you brake a lot on long steep downhills, you'll even get sore hands from squeezing the levers so hard.

If most of your riding is on flat terrain, it may not be much of an issue for you. When you do wear them down and change the pads, be careful on your first ride on the new pads or you'll be over the bars in a heartbeat. :nono:

I have two FS bikes. One with the 5's and one with the 7's. I'll ride one bike for a couple of months and then the other. The braking on both are about the same when the BB5's have new or near new pads. After I switch bikes a couple of times, I can feel the bb5's getting weaker and weaker every month thereafter. You won't feel it that fast because you don't have a frame of reference to make a comparison - just your memory. And your body is also adjusting to this loss of power with every ride. All this BS just because Avid decided NOT to use a simple 5.00 outside pad adjuster. And It probably cost them less than that.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.