Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bought mine from bikebling last week for $29.95,I do not know what year it was but it included two hose ferrules,two barb hose fittings,8mm crowsfoot wrench,a L shaped Torx wrench,two syringes with hoses and clamps, a bunch of pad spacers,a piston spreader, a 4oz bottle of DOT4 fluid,and instructions in every language including gibberish.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
MitchD said:
I bought mine from bikebling last week for $29.95,I do not know what year it was but it included two hose ferrules,two barb hose fittings,8mm crowsfoot wrench,a L shaped Torx wrench,two syringes with hoses and clamps, a bunch of pad spacers,a piston spreader, a 4oz bottle of DOT4 fluid,and instructions in every language including gibberish.
I got that same kit too.

·
XXIX
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frdfandc said:
Only difference is a new box label. Just like everything else, the new model year stuff is always more expensive than last years stuff.
Yea, that what I figured but I would not put it past a company to change the sizes of the ports to make the old bleed kits obsolete.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
the new one is the bomb. new syringes, hose to syringe fitting and everything. plunger doesn't pull out and spray fluid everywhere. the thread fitting that goes to the caliper or lever is the same thread spec. fully rebuildable

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I forgot to add that the bleed kits from 2009 are WAY different than the 2010 and up kits. This is due to the different bleed procedure that the Elixers required.

But yes the 2010+ kits have a lot more stuff in them.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Bikebr said:
Anything about DOT 4 x DOT 5.1? An Elixir 5 requires 5.1.
I doubt Elixir 5 REQUIRES 5.1...

Been looking at this myself as I get ready for spring (for my Code 5s)... DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible with each other chemically. They have different boiling points, though. I am having a hard time finding 5.1 around here (seems to be a specialty fluid for racing applications, maybe) so I will probably just go with DOT 4.

If any combination of small rotors/clydesdale rider/long descents applies to you then 5.1 may really be worth it. For all my bad braking habits, I have never had a worry of the fluid boiling.

"wet" DOT 5.1 boils lower than "dry" 3 or 4... so I figure I will go with what is readily available and do a flush once a year or so along with a bleed.... not too bad when the entire brake system can be flushed with a few ounces of fluid.

Maybe you have heard (or maybe not) DO NOT use DOT 5, it is very different chemically and will probably cause serious problems.

If I am off base here on anything, I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Uncle Six Pack said:
I doubt Elixir 5 REQUIRES 5.1...

Been looking at this myself as I get ready for spring (for my Code 5s)... DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible with each other chemically. They have different boiling points, though. I am having a hard time finding 5.1 around here (seems to be a specialty fluid for racing applications, maybe) so I will probably just go with DOT 4.

If any combination of small rotors/clydesdale rider/long descents applies to you then 5.1 may really be worth it. For all my bad braking habits, I have never had a worry of the fluid boiling.

"wet" DOT 5.1 boils lower than "dry" 3 or 4... so I figure I will go with what is readily available and do a flush once a year or so along with a bleed.... not too bad when the entire brake system can be flushed with a few ounces of fluid.

Maybe you have heard (or maybe not) DO NOT use DOT 5, it is very different chemically and will probably cause serious problems.

If I am off base here on anything, I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
You are correct. But Avid recommends DOT 5.1. You can pick it up at any automotive store. Its readily avail there. Its also included in the Avid bleed kits.

But you can use DOT 3 or 4 as well in the Elixers without issue. Though I'd recommend using DOT 4 if 5.1 can't be found.

Just make sure to get a small bottle as brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture over time. So a large bottle of brake fluid will go to waste, unless you like bleeding your brakes often.

DOT 5 is silicone based as where DOT 3,4, and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
Wow, thank God they released a new kit. I bought my kit a little over a year ago and immediately noticed how disposable the stuff was. When I started working at a shop a couple months later I figured they would have a nicer, professional bleed kit. Imagine my shock when I discovered they were using the exact same syringes! After a couple uses, the rubber on the plunger would get sticky and wouldn't be smooth any more. The plastic tubing from the threaded fitting to the syringe body loves to loosen and pop off, especially while pushing fluid through it.

Glad to see the new kit is designed to last more than a dozen bleeds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
frdfandc said:
You are correct. But Avid recommends DOT 5.1. You can pick it up at any automotive store. Its readily avail there. Its also included in the Avid bleed kits.

But you can use DOT 3 or 4 as well in the Elixers without issue. Though I'd recommend using DOT 4 if 5.1 can't be found.

Just make sure to get a small bottle as brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture over time. So a large bottle of brake fluid will go to waste, unless you like bleeding your brakes often.

DOT 5 is silicone based as where DOT 3,4, and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based.
Frdfandc and Six Pack,
Thank you for replying. I learned a lot with you guys. I think DOT4 is more than enough for me. Regards,

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
frdfandc said:

Just a follow-up... I have a high-quality DOT 4 (Valvoline I think) now. But it is "synthetic".... any worries there on compatibility with whatever is already in my system? Or are all brake fluids synthetic these days?

Thanks

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
No compatibility issues as long as its not DOT 5. Most brake fluid is now coming as synthetic. Just make sure to have a fresh bottle.

I prefer the small bottles as less goes to waste. Brake fluid likes to attract moisture and will ruin a bottle if left stored without being 100% sealed,

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
frdfandc said:

One trick we used to use in my old photographic chem process storage was to put glass marbles in the bottles to keep the fluid at the top. This minimizes any air exposure. If you have some moderate size SS ball bearings laying around doing nothing, they would work too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.