Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between Avid BB7 160s and Avid BB7 180-203s is it just the rotors or is the caliper different too... can I use the Calipers of the 160s and put 180 rotors or 203 rotors on them with no effect or are they meant just for 160s. I guess my question is if there is any difference between them besides the stock rotors that come on them when you first buy them.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
it's just an adapter that makes the difference. calipers are the same. rotors must match as well, obviously.

·
Registered
555 Posts
biigger rotor equals more heat diccipation equals cooler rotors equals more stopping power

Theres is an adapter for each rotor size, calipers are all the same

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mountain biker 41 said:
biigger rotor equals more heat diccipation equals cooler rotors equals more stopping power

Theres is an adapter for each rotor size, calipers are all the same
Bigger rotors equals more torque equals more stopping power

I think torque will be more noticeable than heat dissipation

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
A bigger rotor may also equal bigger than the fork or frame can handle.

Many frames will have clearance issues with big rotors. Then there's the torque...

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
rkowalick said:
I think torque will be more noticeable than heat dissipation
Depends, really.

Back in the day, I upped to a 185mm front rotor when it first became available from Avid (I was running a V in the rear at the time).

My sole motivation for the rotor swap wasn't power, but heat. One of my regular rides descended me 2,000' over 5 miles. At the same point on every descent -- about 1.5 miles in -- my front 165mm rotor began howling so loudly that I'd back off the brakes, just to spare my sensitive eardrums. The power was sufficient for me, but the noise was gawd-awful and probably echoed for miles.

Being new to discs, I thought it was due to the dust at that particular section of the trail. But an Avid tech took one look at my rotor, and diagnosed heat buildup as my problem, citing the tell-tale rainbow discoloration.

Bumping up to 185s cured that problem instantly.

The extra power was noticable, but for the most part, the 165s were sufficient. In fact, the larger rotors were most noticable in slower speed, techincal trails, where they were more difficult to modulate. Naturally, it was something I quickly adapted to (and all the various adjustments on the Avids & Speed Dial levers help to tweak it).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there any other options in the mechanical disc brake arena than BB7s that are worth anything... I dont want to go to Hydraulics because I will be living in an area next year where the nearest bike shop is 80 miles away.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Singletrakin Mike said:
Are there any other options in the mechanical disc brake arena than BB7s that are worth anything... I dont want to go to Hydraulics because I will be living in an area next year where the nearest bike shop is 80 miles away.
IRD Dual Banger. But it's got a number of shortcomings compared to the BB7.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
ive had zero problems with hayes MX2's.. they work just as well as my bb7's, except they were easier to set up. i know a lot of people are down on hayes brakes, but they've been perfect for me. i think the stock hayes rotors are much nicer than the pos roundagons as well.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Mountain biker 41 said:
bigger rotors equals more heat dissipation equals cooler rotors equals less lost power due to hot rotors.

Its additional torque on a larger rotor that increases the power.

edit, just read further into the thread, where others said that :p

·
Registered
555 Posts
ive had zero problems with hayes MX2's.. they work just as well as my bb7's, except they were easier to set up. i know a lot of people are down on hayes brakes, but they've been perfect for me. i think the stock hayes rotors are much nicer than the pos roundagons as well.
I have bb7 and mx2, theres no comparison, the bb7s dominate, my hayes have to be adjusted about once every two weeks....ridiclulous

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i adjust mine as they slowly wear.. but you have to do that with all mechanical disc brakes. they never go out of adjustment on their own.. and anyway, the only adjustment they have is screwing the pads in or out, its not exactly a lengthy process.

this is my second set of bb7's, one 160mm and one 203mm.. i havent been thrilled with either. for the price of the brake, new housings and cables, a decent lever and replacing the awful roundagon, you might as well buy hydros.

·
Registered
555 Posts
bigger rotors equals more heat dissipation equals cooler rotors equals less lost power due to hot rotors.
yeah, thats what I meant sorry.

tomsmoto, as far as the mx2, it seems like we have a reversal of brake opinions, I love bb7, u hat em, I hate mx2, you love em lol.

anyway, BB7 are considered the best mechanicals on the market, they just take FOREVER to brake in. MX2 has decent stopping power, mine just go out of adjustment so much its a waste of time to adjust them so often, considering I ride the bike with them on less often than my bb7 bike

·
OTTer
46 Posts
If the calipers are the same, and all the difference is in the adaptors, what happens with post mount forks where the adaptors are discarded?

Will a post-mount fork only work with a given sized disc, or is there some special sort of adaptor available to allow the bigger disc sizes to align properly?

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
psych said:
If the calipers are the same, and all the difference is in the adaptors, what happens with post mount forks where the adaptors are discarded?

Will a post-mount fork only work with a given sized disc, or is there some special sort of adaptor available to allow the bigger disc sizes to align properly?
you can buy an adapter to run virtually every possible combination, they make adapters for post mount forks. If they didn't they would be losing a LOT of money :p

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Yes, there's adapters for post mount too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.