Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a brakes forum question -- I'll try there too, but it's a singlespeed we're talking about so ...

Just got Avid BB7s. Great. Installation seems straightforward. Until I spin the rotor in the brake body, and get consistent rubbing, no matter what I do. All adjusters are opened up as far as they'll go. So that's puzzle No. 1.

Then on the front (rigid) fork, when I drive the install bolts all the way in, the tip of the screw actually catches the rotor as it spins. Too long? Shave down the bolt? Washers? WTF?

Any and all tips welcomed.

· Banned
18,970 Posts
Recenter the calipers , loosen the mounting bolts enough to move the caliper , squeeze the brake gently and retighten the bolts . The too long bolts could be replaced with slightly shorter ones or as you said washers under the bolt heads . I hope that helps .

· Registered
245 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem and used washers get the clearance I needed. I actually had both the front and rear mounting bolts contact the rotors.

For the problem you listed first just follow Avid's directions on centering the rotor. Once you get that down you can use different techniques.

· SSolo, on your left!
2,576 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
Recenter the calipers , loosen the mounting bolts enough to move the caliper , squeeze the brake gently and retighten the bolts . The too long bolts could be replaced with slightly shorter ones or as you said washers under the bolt heads . I hope that helps .
Yes, and I had to do this on one front brake...couple washers under the adapter bolt heads and all was good.

smoen81 said:
this should help. I had to buy shorter bolts on one of my bikes so the bolts didn't catch in the rotor.
Excellent instructions...best I've seen so far.

· is buachail foighneach me
6,581 Posts
On one of my bikes, even after shifting the caliper all the way outboard, the outside pad was constantly in contact with the rotor. I ended up having to file some material off of the adapter to get it to work.

· Registered
13,346 Posts
i JUST got my Monocog this week and installed some BB5s on it yesterday. the bolts are indeed too long and rub on the rotors. i just replaced them with some slightly shorter bolts but cutting the end off the bolts or using washers would work too. i think the bolts are made with an aluminum frame and fork in mind, which probably have thicker brake mount tabs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.