Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always read that hydro disc brakes are so much lighter than the avid mechanicals, which is what I'm currently using. So I head over to weight weenies to check out the weights, and see the caliber, rotor and hardware weigh in around 350g for front and rear (700g total). Looking at the Juicy 7 or Hope Mini, it appears they weight MORE at around 400g per wheel. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. According to my math below, the difference really isn't as extreme as most make it out to be. Here's my calcs for brake and shifter combos.

On bike now:
Avid Mech Front: 361g
Avid Mech Rear: 367g
Deore XT Shifter/Brake Levers: 450g
Brake Cable: ~40g/meter, estimate 2 meters on bike (generous), total 80g
TOTAL 1258g

Hydro
Avid Juicy Front incl. lever, cable: 414g
Avid Juicy Rear incl. lever, cable: 414g
SRAM X.9 shifter (both): 292g
TOTAL 1120g

Unless I'm missing something else, the difference is around 100-200g on average. I guess one could go lighter on the hydro setup, but the components I spec'd seem to be the norm. So about 1/3 to 1/2 lb savings could be had by going to hydro's? This could have me rethink doing so...I was considering it because people kept saying that a pound or more could be saved!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
weighing your bike without being a weenie

I believe light is right. If the strength/performance stays the same or improves, why not go lighter? Well, I just changed out my Hayes HFX 9s to BB7s (and a few other odds and ends) and my bike weighs about the same. I didn't do this for any weight savings, just to dial out that dam! pad rub. I weighed the Hayes front and rear: total was a bit less than the BB7s (when you include the cables and housing for the mechs), but only about maybe a few ounces. A small price to pay for no pad rub. If other manufacturer's products weigh a boatload less AND there was never any question of pad rub I'd be interested. As of now, though, I absolutely know, without any doubt, that my next ride on my Burner is gonna be rub free!! Halla-freakin'-lujah!

I have another bike that has Hayes hydros. The last time I rode it the entire ride was rub free. The first time that had ever happened. Why, only the Hydro Gods know. As soon as those Hayes start acting "normally" I'll switch them out in a heartbeat. I'm not wishing for that at all. I want these Hayes to be rub free because I really like the feel of them otherwise. Got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do love the adjustability of the BB7's. I have mine dialed in great, and with full length cables the action is very smooth. Looks like I'll definitely hold on to them awhile (until that upgrade bug hits again), if there was a pound or more difference between these and the hydros I'd consider it, but a few ounces?...I'll continue to enjoy what I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.