Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a set of older (2002) Avid BB7 calipers. recently I replaced both front and rear pads with Kool Stops. Right after installing them, I noticed a very strong vibration through the fork when I applied the brakes.

I have readjusted the caliper using the CPS as per Avid's instructions and the problem persists. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the part of the pad that clips into the caliper retainer is very different in the new pads (2nd image below); it doesn't actually click into place as the older pads do. As a matter of fact, installing the old pads (1st image below) fixes the problem right away.

Another difference I noticed is the fact that the new Kool Stop pads come with a spreader that was not installed with the older pads. The pads were kept attached to the sides of the caliper via a magnet. I tried the new pads with and without the spreader and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've noticed several different shapes of pads (even from Avid) that claim to be compatible with BB7 mechanical calipers. I'm kinda frustrated now. Are there pad compatibility issues between old and new BB7 calipers? What are the differences? Please help! :madman:

Thanks!

Pablo Montero
San Jose, Costa Rica

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Hola Pablo!

I would think that the older calipers have differences that the stock pads can handle, but not aftermarket ones, made for the Juicy and current BB7s..... I have only used the newer ones... but the vibration is definitely cause by the "looseness" of the pads...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
poxcr said:
Hello,

I have a set of older (2002) Avid BB7 calipers. recently I replaced both front and rear pads with Kool Stops. Right after installing them, I noticed a very strong vibration through the fork when I applied the brakes.

I have readjusted the caliper using the CPS as per Avid's instructions and the problem persists. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the part of the pad that clips into the caliper retainer is very different in the new pads (2nd image below); it doesn't actually click into place as the older pads do. As a matter of fact, installing the old pads (1st image below) fixes the problem right away.

Another difference I noticed is the fact that the new Kool Stop pads come with a spreader that was not installed with the older pads. The pads were kept attached to the sides of the caliper via a magnet. I tried the new pads with and without the spreader and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've noticed several different shapes of pads (even from Avid) that claim to be compatible with BB7 mechanical calipers. I'm kinda frustrated now. Are there pad compatibility issues between old and new BB7 calipers? What are the differences? Please help! :madman:

Thanks!

Pablo Montero
San Jose, Costa Rica

I would not use the Koolstop pads pictured in an Avid brake. Note the difference in the "ears" at the top (the part that goes into the caliper) of the backing plate. Avids are an "outie" and the KS an "innie." the "innie" can not clip into the retaining spring inside the caliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.