Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why there is no Avid BB7 Ultimate? This very reliable easy to set-up and use brake which is on all kinds of bikes from zions to custom Ti. Anyone that demands low/no maintenance and performance runs them.
I find very little gain in performance vs reliability performance or adjustability to the Juicy ultimates. Which serve thier own grouppies.
I would think that if Avid made some type of BB7 ultimate, being a little lighter, better finish (black ano of course) maybe ti hardware and thier lightest rotor I'd buy 'em in a flash!

How about YOU?
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Makes sense to me

Would I buy them? I don't know, but my guess is they'd sell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Good idea.

I've wondered this myself. I guess some people might consider the mechanicals a "lesser" product to begin with and not worthy of a Ultimate version. I, however, have found the cable actuated brakes to be superior to hydros in just about every respect. Less complex, easy to maintain and plenty of power.

I would love to see a high zoot version. Might be a great opportunity for Avid.
 

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
Mechs just aren't as cool as hydo's... I rub BB7 Mechs and have no desire to switch to Hydos' ever. I think that if Avid put out an ultimate version of the BB7's they'd sell like crazy.
 

·
dontcha?
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
I think a utltimate version of the BB7's would price-wise compete with their Juicy line and would somehow take sales away from their Juicy line. Plus does anybody make a better mechanical disc brake system that even competes with the BB7's? Not as far as I know, I don't really see a reason why Avid would make it, if it doesn't break why fix it analogy fits this case..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
captain spaulding said:
I think a utltimate version of the BB7's would price-wise compete with their Juicy line and would somehow take sales away from their Juicy line. Plus does anybody make a better mechanical disc brake system that even competes with the BB7's? Not as far as I know, I don't really see a reason why Avid would make it, if it doesn't break why fix it analogy fits this case..
Look, they have thier rim brakes in regular and ultimate version, and now of course juicy regular and ultimates. Thier levers in three different levels including ultimates and the mechanicals in two versions (BB5 +7). So no real reason no to on price front because they all overlap in prices. Especially on the mechanical front as the levers are not propriatary.
I find it weird that the most successful brake they offer is the only version that does not have an "ultimate" option.
The mechanicals are THE most spec'd disc brake out there by a large margin. However, if your building something a little special I'd like to have the choice to "upgrade" my mechanicals to somethig a little more deserveing.
Even a "Ultimate BB7 package" set-up like, ultimate levers and top cable set with smooth finish black ano calipers perfect!
I'll let the bean counters decide on price but I'd go 200 bucks over normal for the set.

Whaddya say SRAM/AVID?:thumbsup:
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Great thread and I must say I'm impressed with what you did. I take it you've had no issues with the modified calipers?

Bob
I got in one ride using an improperly sized rotor (the early Type F caliper I used was meant for a 165 mm rotor, not 160). I beat on it for about an hour and it was fine. Not sure what that says or with how much "oomph", but ..... that's all I got. (shrug)

Nice for the weight reduction, but it's still the same pos brake. (sorry, I just really don't like those things - IMHO, YMMV and all that stuff)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
AndrewTO said:
I got in one ride using an improperly sized rotor (the early Type F caliper I used was meant for a 165 mm rotor, not 160). I beat on it for about an hour and it was fine. Not sure what that says or with how much "oomph", but ..... that's all I got. (shrug)

Nice for the weight reduction, but it's still the same pos brake. (sorry, I just really don't like those things - IMHO, YMMV and all that stuff)
Andrew, after the pads wear a while you may notice some hang up of the pad on the outer edge of the rotor. It will surface a rubbing you can not adjust out. Simple enough to file down the mount to bring the caliper 2.5mm closer to the axle. I did this when using the older caliper with a 185mm rotor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
shiggy said:
Andrew, after the pads wear a while you may notice some hang up of the pad on the outer edge of the rotor. It will surface a rubbing you can not adjust out. Simple enough to file down the mount to bring the caliper 2.5mm closer to the axle. I did this when using the older caliper with a 185mm rotor.
HAHA! Wow shiggy, you have got timing! I just pulled the caliper out again a moment ago, looked at it and wondered why the heck I even bothered with those stupid CPS washers anyways. I could just use some plain washers (if needed) to space it out properly. :madman:

I like your way to skin the cat, too, though. :thumbsup: More permanent and keeps the CPS.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top