Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
apearently my friend got a mispeced cannondale phophet 600 its suppose to have avid bb7 not avid bbdb. The avid bbdbs he got are terrible they won't even endo the bike when you squeeze them as hard as you can. Also for some reason if you poor water on the brakes they work better...(have no clue why that is). I have avid bb5's and pouring water on it makes it work worst. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing he got bad brake pads. He's probably going to bring it bad to where he bought it and ask for them to swap the brakes for some bb7s

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
iloveclimbinghills said:
apearently my friend got a mispeced cannondale phophet 600 its suppose to have avid bb7 not avid bbdb. The avid bbdbs he got are terrible they won't even endo the bike when you squeeze them as hard as you can. Also for some reason if you poor water on the brakes they work better...(have no clue why that is). I have avid bb5's and pouring water on it makes it work worst. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing he got bad brake pads. He's probably going to bring it bad to where he bought it and ask for them to swap the brakes for some bb7s
There is no functional difference between a BBDB (new or old style) and a BB7 caliper! In the new style there is no difference at all except for the decal.

If his brakes are working poorly it could be because:
1. They are setup poorly (most likely)
2. They have not bedded in yet
3. The pads and/or rotors need to be cleaned (least likely)

Do a search here for tips on proper setup. It has been discussed many, many times including a couple in the past few days.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The set up as far as equipment is stock. My friend had them adjusted by the store he bought them and they still would not endo the rear wheel, and they performence was worst than my bb5s on my 2005 jekyll when it was in stock configuration this was done as part of the tune up after 30 days at this point the bike had about 60 miles on it. Today I adjusted them and cleaned them off and they still are not as good as my jekyll's brakes and the bike currently has around 120 miles on it. How long should the bedding process take ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yea my friend is pretty lite, hes about 135 pounds but they brake still doesnt lock up enough to pick the rear wheel up. Just thought I'd add that in cause if he was like 300 pounds that would obviously have some effect on the brakes performence.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
iloveclimbinghills said:
The set up as far as equipment is stock. My friend had them adjusted by the store he bought them and they still would not endo the rear wheel, and they performence was worst than my bb5s on my 2005 jekyll when it was in stock configuration this was done as part of the tune up after 30 days at this point the bike had about 60 miles on it. Today I adjusted them and cleaned them off and they still are not as good as my jekyll's brakes and the bike currently has around 120 miles on it. How long should the bedding process take ?
Sounds like the shop mechanic does not know what he is doing. Proper setup is key. Do the search I suggested. I can not fix the problem over the 'net.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.