Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting new brakes for my bike. I can get Avid's BB7 with Speed Dial Levers SL for $150.00. Or I can get the Shimano XT disc brake with XT levers for $240.00. Would it be worth it to spend the extra cash-ola and get the Shimano XT brakes?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Oh lord, as if the current BB7 threads aren't enough. No offense, Kewl-mo-dee, but this is one topic that's been done "to death" since, oh — the year 2000 — and refuses to die. So a quick search ought to work. Besides the thread here in the brake forum, there's another one still warm in the 29" forum.

Meanwhile, all of these BB7 vs. The World threads should be shoveled into the Passion forum, where they *truly* belong! :thumbsup:

·
EDR
10,584 Posts
I own both. If you've got the money get the XT's and be done with it.

Use the search function, the debate is endless. Long story short BB7s are great for the money but can't touch good hydro's for modulation and control.

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
BB7's with generic cables and housing are only OK. You need to invest in these to get the most out of BB7's. That adds to the cost.

In my view the major problem with the BB7's is the damn roundagon rotors they come with, which everyone seems to complain (me included) that they fade very fast. Adding the cost of a better front rotor (the roundagon is ok in the rear), you're almost at the cost of good hydros.

I have both BB7's and 2008 XT. At this point, unless the budget is tight, I would recommend going with the XT's when starting from zero, but to keep the BB7's and upgrade housing, cables and front rotor if one already has the BB7's but with el cheapo housing and the roundagon rotor. A good BB7 setup is not that cheap.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The brakes were $46 for the 203mm rotors and I assumed that the 160mm ones would be the same price, but the site is down at the moment so I can't check. Also the levers, SD 7s (not the SLs) were $16. Here's the long way to the BB site:
http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ord=p&nd=9&tz=2&st=avid+bb7

Here's a long way to the beyondbike location for the levers: http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ord=p&nd=9&tz=2&st=avid+levers

It's the $15.95 one from beyondbike about 3/4 of the way down the page.

The best price I see for the 160mm calipers is $50 for front or rear from Cambria.

Tim

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
I have the m775 and they are noisy, specially the front one which howls badly. However, they are not yet completely broken in. They've become gradually less noisy, the rear is now silent. So I hope that after a few more miles they're going to be silent.

The 775's are an evolution over the 765's. I wouldn't go for the 765's just because of some noise reports (unless you can get the 765's with a good discount). It seems that when they are noisy the use of organic pads solves the problem.

·
EDR
10,584 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Long story short BB7s are great for the money but can't touch good hydro's for modulation and control.
Nonsense! I 'm sure that 80% of the BB7 users don't have both: good levers + compressionless uninterrupted housing and therefore don't have the same amount of modulation as with hydros. So the problem is not in the BB7.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dude! I just bought a Shimano XT set with levers (M765) for $160.00! (Without rotors but I have to buy some anyways seperately because of my hubs).

Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XT-BR-M...ryZ27949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Was this look like a good deal?

Also,

I asked and everything is pre-assembled. Do I still need these?:
adapter mounting bolts w/washers
Brake pad spacer
Spacer for bleeding
caliper mounting bolts w/washers
Stop Ring
I asked and the kit does not come with these. I hope I didn't mess up. If I need these where can I buy them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.