Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to chime in with some recommendations? I'm thinking of getting either

A) Magura Marta hydros
or
B) Avid Mechanicals with either Avid Ultimate or Paul love levers

I don't care about other options really at this point. I would like to hear if you have an opinion on any of this though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
BB7's work great but are quite a bit heavier - with cables and levers almost 1000 grams. Marta's about 720 grams. Considering the latter too to save some weight but am hesitant because of the bleeding, rubbing, adjusting issues one reads every now and then about hydro's in general....

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Happy with Avid mechanicals

The only thing I can really say is that I'm happy with my Avid mechanicals. If you read the Magura reviews, the only real knock I can see is that they appear to be difficult to bleed. Whether it's true or not, who knows.

My vote goes for Avid.

Bob

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
having had both, i love em both. you do not mention your priorities which of course would drive the decision. For the price, Avid Mechs.....for weight savings, Martas. Other than that, they both work and work well, as do most disc brakes nowadays.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
If you read the Magura reviews, the only real knock I can see is that they appear to be difficult to bleed. Whether it's true or not, who knows.

Bob
Sorry, but they're not hard to bleed. It's gotta be done carefully, but it's not difficult.

Some people have problems with out of true tabs... but taking your fork/frame to a shop and facing the tabs, cure the issue... and that's even before installing the brakes. If you do it timely, you should have no problems.

For the bleeding, just buy the kit (20 bucks) and follow the instructions from Magura or the Magura Cult by the letter and you'll be fine. In case you spill some oil, it will not damage your frame paint (or skin).

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have BB7's with Avid Ultimate levers and Juicy 7's (excellent after modification). I like the BB7's as much as my hydraulic brakes. They are simple, quiet, adjustable and modulate well. The ultimate levers feel great with the BB7's and this is what I'm going with on a Kona 2-9 that I'm building.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinions and comments guys.

My Deore 525 Hydros have been good to me. I've never really had to do anything to them. The Avid Mechs sounds really easy to adjust, but they also seem like you have to adjust them every couple of rides or something. Is that the case? I think the Maguras will work good without having to think about them after the initial setup.

I guess I'm not concerned about the extra weight of the Avids. Although I don't want to end up with a heavy bike.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The BB7's are easily adjustable via a dial on the calipers and do not need to be adjusted every couple of rides. They operate very well with the inboard pad close to the rotor and as the pads wear you can bring them closer by turning the dials.

I find that my Juicy 7's need cleaning around the pistons and seals to retract properly. I use some dry lube there when I do normal maintenance on my bikes.

I don't know about the Maguras, however I imagine all hydraulics would operate better if the pistons and seals were cleaned regularly. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that both require maintenance that is easy.

On a side note, my J7's needed modification to operate properly without that horrible stuttering noise.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
rmb said:
I have BB7's with Avid Ultimate levers and Juicy 7's (excellent after modification). I like the BB7's as much as my hydraulic brakes. They are simple, quiet, adjustable and modulate well. The ultimate levers feel great with the BB7's and this is what I'm going with on a Kona 2-9 that I'm building.
I have a similar set-up, slightly older Avid BBDB with Avid Ultimates. I agree that that they are simple, adjustable and powerful, but "modulate well" is something I'm yet to experience in the two+ years that I've owned them. With the speed-dial set to pull as little cable as possible, I'd still say that they were pretty darn grabby. At all other settings they're a bit scarry - pretty much on off/off switch.

I'm running stock pads (I've been through several sets of Avid pads) and rotors. I hear loads of people that love the Avids, but I'd not buy another set. Have you swapped out the rotors or pads to give it better modulation?

·
Registered
660 Posts
laffeaux said:
I have a similar set-up, slightly older Avid BBDB with Avid Ultimates. I agree that that they are simple, adjustable and powerful, but "modulate well" is something I'm yet to experience in the two+ years that I've owned them. With the speed-dial set to pull as little cable as possible, I'd still say that they were pretty darn grabby. At all other settings they're a bit scarry - pretty much on off/off switch.

I'm running stock pads (I've been through several sets of Avid pads) and rotors. I hear loads of people that love the Avids, but I'd not buy another set. Have you swapped out the rotors or pads to give it better modulation?
No, however playing with the pad positioning will give you better modulation. I run the inboard pad pretty close to the rotor, although you can back it off a bit for better modulation. You can adjust the outboard pad to your liking as well. After this you can adjust the levers for a better feel, however the pad positioning is more important.

I run Avid Ultimate levers with these brakes and I like them as much as the hydraulics.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
rmb said:
No, however playing with the pad positioning will give you better modulation. I run the inboard pad pretty close to the rotor, although you can back it off a bit for better modulation. You can adjust the outboard pad to your liking as well. After this you can adjust the levers for a better feel, however the pad positioning is more important.

I run Avid Ultimate levers with these brakes and I like them as much as the hydraulics.
I have my inboard pad very close to the rotor too. I'll try backing it off to see what that does. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
660 Posts
laffeaux said:
I have my inboard pad very close to the rotor too. I'll try backing it off to see what that does. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sure, and depending on where the outer pad is you could move that one closer. I would try moving the inner one, see how that feels, then move the outer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you do it?

Wish you were riding - Did you proceed with the Avid Mechanicals and Paul Love Levers? I am at the same crossroads and want to try the mechanicals and Pauls. I am currently utilizing XT hydro levers and XTR calipers, tired of the on/off and no adjustability.

Thanks,

Kegbert1

Wish I Were Riding said:
Anyone want to chime in with some recommendations? I'm thinking of getting either

A) Magura Marta hydros
or
B) Avid Mechanicals with either Avid Ultimate or Paul love levers

I don't care about other options really at this point. I would like to hear if you have an opinion on any of this though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kegbert1 said:
Wish you were riding - Did you proceed with the Avid Mechanicals and Paul Love Levers? I am at the same crossroads and want to try the mechanicals and Pauls. I am currently utilizing XT hydro levers and XTR calipers, tired of the on/off and no adjustability.

Thanks,

Kegbert1
I got some Avid Mechs 185mm with some Single Digit 5 or 7 levers. I did not get the Pauls. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna even use these. Sorry I can't be more helpfull.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts