Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a regular 04 stumpjumper fsr and i just bought disc brakes online for it i have one question do i have to buy longer brake cables? right now they seem there going to be short not sure.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Yes.

You'll need new, longer cables and housings both front and rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thats what i thought i wanted to install the brakes myself it doesnt seem to hard to do but than again am a newbie. Is there certain cables i need to buy? do they come precut lengths for my bike?

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
You can use any cable designed for v-brakes. There are, of course, more expensive cable options (Avid Straight, Flak and Full Metal Jacket), any good quality brake cable/housing will work.

You must pay particular attwntion to routing the cable to the calipers. They need to be routed as straight as is possible to get good performance.

Do you have a cable cutter? Have you cut and installed cables before?

If not, it might be a good idea to find someone (LBS or individual) who has some experience with not just cables, but disc brakes. Let them install them for you. You can do it yourself but, you have stated that you are a newbie. Perhaps disc brake/cable installation isn't the place to start learning to wrench on a bike...:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts