Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I FINALLY tossed in the white towel, and am pitching my Avid Juicys, in exchange for the Formulas. In the literature, it states "never install the Formula brake system with adapters not supplied by Formula srl" as this will void the warranty.

I'm not overly concerned about voiding the warranty, but obviously, I get nervous with the word "never." From all indications, the Avid adaptors are very similar to the Formula adaptors, and I've install the front and have no brake rub issues.

Other than a voided warranty, any other reason to not use these?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the reason is that Formula uses slightly different rotor sizes than standard. For example, their 8" rotor is 200mm vs the standard 203mm. That said I used a Hayes adapter and 203mm rotor for a while with no problems at all. It would seem that if you aren't getting rubbing and and pad is making good contact you should be fine.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
az1jeff said:
What size/brand rotors?
160. The front seems fine, with no rub. However, I am getting some rub on the rear, so I went ahead an ordered a Formula adaptor. Will I also need a Formula rotor?

·
Registered
604 Posts
As long as you have the adapter from Formula to use with the Formula caliper, you should be good to go. Both Avid and Formula use 160's vs. [email protected]5 and [email protected]0 so you should be fine. Thought I could help you, but I only have a Formula 160 adapter at the moment and a Avid 185, but no Avid 160 adapter to try it out to verify for certain.

jeff

·
Registered
488 Posts
The adaptors are different indeed. I run Formula ORO K24's with Avid adaptors for their align system since I couldn't manage to align the calipers properly with the native adaptors. 185 mm IS front (180 mm formula rotor) in the front / 185 mm IS front (160 mm formula rotor) in the rear. Yes, identical adaptors, different rotors. The problem with Avid's adaptors with Formula brakes is that even with the CPS washers the calipers are more close to the fork than needed. So, you'll need to add some washers. Second (only for the front wheel!), formula adaptor, relative to avid, not only has some offset, but also places the caliper under different angle . This means that the pads won't be parallel to the rotor's braking surface, which sucks. And also this means you'll need different numbers of washers at each adaptor's end.
Personally I used the following washers (in addition to the CPS washers):

- front/top: 1 mm
- front/bottom: 3 mm
- rear/top & rear/bottom: 1 mm

Using these, I managed to align the calipers how I consider to be the best: the pads' top edges almost perfectly coincide with the rotor's outer edge.
I had to use longer bolts to utilize all the threads in the adaptors. Bought some Avid bolts with the CPS washers at CRC, they're about 4-5 cm long. The bolts are sticking from the adaptors' backs, but I don't care since nobody sees that :).
As for performance, everything works perfect. However I don't feel 100% safe about the front brake's adaptor's bottom end. Seems to be a bit more washers that would be safe for sure. Of course I'd better use the native adaptors, but they don't work for me.

Btw, once I came with a Formula adaptor (180f/160r) into an LBS and asked to see some brake adaptors to compare and buy something that would be, coupled with a set of CPS washers, equal to Formula adaptor to use with a 180 mm front rotor and ORO caliper. I couldn't find anything! Every adaptor was not only of different caliper offset, but of the caliper angle too. So I gave up and just installed an Avid adaptor with some extra washers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
shapirus said:
The adaptors are different indeed. I run Formula ORO K24's with Avid adaptors for their align system since I couldn't manage to align the calipers properly with the native adaptors. 185 mm IS front (180 mm formula rotor) in the front / 185 mm IS front (160 mm formula rotor) in the rear. Yes, identical adaptors, different rotors. The problem with Avid's adaptors with Formula brakes is that even with the CPS washers the calipers are more close to the fork than needed. So, you'll need to add some washers. Second (only for the front wheel!), formula adaptor, relative to avid, not only has some offset, but also places the caliper under different angle . This means that the pads won't be parallel to the rotor's braking surface, which sucks. And also this means you'll need different numbers of washers at each adaptor's end.
Personally I used the following washers (in addition to the CPS washers):

- front/top: 1 mm
- front/bottom: 3 mm
- rear/top & rear/bottom: 1 mm

Using these, I managed to align the calipers how I consider to be the best: the pads' top edges almost perfectly coincide with the rotor's outer edge.
I had to use longer bolts to utilize all the threads in the adaptors. Bought some Avid bolts with the CPS washers at CRC, they're about 4-5 cm long. The bolts are sticking from the adaptors' backs, but I don't care since nobody sees that :).
As for performance, everything works perfect. However I don't feel 100% safe about the front brake's adaptor's bottom end. Seems to be a bit more washers that would be safe for sure. Of course I'd better use the native adaptors, but they don't work for me.

Btw, once I came with a Formula adaptor (180f/160r) into an LBS and asked to see some brake adaptors to compare and buy something that would be, coupled with a set of CPS washers, equal to Formula adaptor to use with a 180 mm front rotor and ORO caliper. I couldn't find anything! Every adaptor was not only of different caliper offset, but of the caliper angle too. So I gave up and just installed an Avid adaptor with some extra washers.
You do realise that all post mount calipers must have the same dimensional mounting spec? And that the Avid calipers must have the CPS washer stack to meet the spec? You can not simply add the CPS washers to a different brand caliper without going to a larger rotor or shortening the mounting bracket.

The difference in the brackets (adaptors) of different brands is how they are shaped for caliper clearance. i.e. The bracket of one brand may interfere with the caliper of another. If the caliper clears the bracket, it does not matter at all what brand is used. It will line up for the rotor size the bracket is designed for.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well, regarding the same dimensional specs. How to explain the fact that Avid 185mm IS front adaptor used with the CPS washers (as designed) will not work with Formula ORO caliper if I'll try to use them with a native Avid 185 mm rotor?

Also, I wrote about IS adaptors only. Haven't compared the PM adaptors.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
shapirus said:
Well, regarding the same dimensional specs. How to explain the fact that Avid 185mm IS front adaptor used with the CPS washers (as designed) will not work with Formula ORO caliper if I'll try to use them with a native Avid 185 mm rotor?

Also, I wrote about IS adaptors only. Haven't compared the PM adaptors.
I just explained all that!

I talked about post mount calipers because EVERY caliper that uses a separate IS bracket is a post mount caliper when the IS bracket is removed.

The Formula caliper--and every other non-Avid caliper--will not work on a 185mm bracket with a 185 rotor if you add the CPS washer stack. They are NOT designed to use the the washers so you have moved the caliper too far out. Leave out the Avid washers and it will work.

The Avid CPS washer stack is designed as part of the caliper, not part of the mount, and is not interchangeable with other brands.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah you're right. Looks like that I simply mounted the Avid adaptor in the wrong direction. I thought that markings should be facing left and visible. What a shame!
Either case, it does work for me in such a setup :).

Looks like the only option for me except using the current configuration with reverse mounted Avid adaptors is facing the fork and frame brake mounts. Maybe I should do this and just use the native Formula hardware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts