• 6-10 miles

Votes: 97 30.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 94 29.4%
  • 15-20

Votes: 52 16.3%
  • 20 and up

Votes: 39 12.2%
  • it depends...where i am, what kind of bike i have, etc.

Votes: 25 7.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long is your average ride? normally i get less than 5 miles, but that's only because there's nothing longer than that near here...when i'm up north, i go out for about an hour...i don't normally keep track of distance up there

·
Registered
587 Posts
depends..

When I ride early before breakfast I do not ride more than just over an hour because I'll bonk. On that type of ride I get in 10-12 miles and 1500 ft of elevation.

A regular trail ride is never less than 10 and on average about 18-24 and 2500-3500 ft of elevation gain.

I recently started throwing in road rides. If it is an early morning ride it will not exceed 20 miles and 2k of elevation gain. Weekend road rides, if I do one, will be 40 - 50 miles.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
However much ground I can cover in two to three 8 hour days.

Sometimes 200mi, sometimes 50. Sometimes it's all hike-a-bike stuff, and 10 miles takes all day. More & more I think of my rides in terms of duration instead of distance. (& adventure).

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
I really prefer a warm up ride of at least 3 miles. I often park several miles away at a coffee shop or convenience store as opposed to the trailhead for this very reason. There's a good network of trails about 15 miles form my house, which is about the upper limit of riding to the trails as it adds an hour each way.

Once I'm on the trail, distance really depends on the terrain, trail conditions, and how I'm feeling. Time and effort are way better metrics.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
15-20 on dirt on the weekends for about a 2 hour ride and 15-20 on the road during the week during my 1 hour spin from the house. If I had more time to escape at the weekends I'd drop the weekday evening spins. I'm going to plan to do at least one 50 miler, off road, a month to get some endurance back.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
EGF168 said:
Above 15, any of you lot who have been to southern England know how many roads there are, which means I get lots of time between trails posing as a roadie.:D
I used to do a fair bit of riding around Dorset/Cornwall/Devon and as you said, it would be bridleway, footpath, roadie section to get back onto another bridleway, onto another road to link up to another footpath. I would always make sure the road sections were the climbing sections and leave the flats and downhills for the dirt.

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
I generally do 8-10 miles, I would do more if there were more trails in the system I ride at. For some reason I don't like going over trails twice but I'm slowly getting over that.:D

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
After work/before work or weekend rides ?

My weekday before /after work rides all take 7 mi of riding "bike path/urban ST" round trip just to get to my trailhead. From there, the skies the limit. If I'm lazy, I'll just do 3-4 loops on the lowest easy XC trail, 4 mi a loop. If I'm ambitious, I'll throw in 15 mi of moderate technical ST with some decent climbing instead of the easy loop. So... my normal daily workday ride is between 19-23 mi.

Weekends are a totally different story. I usually shoot for a 4-6 hr ride, mileage varies. One weekend it can be a never ending hike a bike uphill, for a 1 hr DH. Other times I like to go explore unreported trails that I found on a topo. Most times I'll hit up my favorite trails . Other times when I'm "lazy", I'll just do an easy XC of 35-45 mi..

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
About 12.5 to 20 miles with no more than a few feet elevation because its Florida. Doesn`t equate to you guys with real mtb terrain...maybe someday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.