Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there SC forum!
I was wondering what most people have their Heckler's weigh in at.
This is obviously dependent on what the bike is built for, so I'm most curious for those of you who are aggressive trail riders. I currently have the bike on the D AM kit (08), and I'm finally beginning to understand the bike, so ditching it feels harder and harder to do, however, the 32 - 33lbs on the scale makes it somewhat easier...

The SC website has their XTR SL kit at 24.7 lbs! So I'm curious, how heavy is your Heckler, and if it was a pig before, what have you changed which did the most work (in feel or weight)?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe I have an '05 frame....

32 pounds

Cross Max XL disc, Marz fork, SRAM components, 2.0 tires, Race Face, Tru Vativ, Avid, Thompson.

Built tough and it shows. Tough on the climbs, but wonderful on the downhills.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I have never had one under 30lb. They just aren't as fun to ride with light tires/wheels. My current build is about 32-33lb.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Mine hovers from 30-32 lbs depending on tires/tubes. It is currently in 31.5lb mode with 2.4's front and rear. If I throw on some thinner walled 2.2's I can get right at 30lbs.

If I had an air shock front and rear I could get under 30 fairly easily.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2007 XL with X9 AM parts kit. With the original 2.35 Nevegals, it came in at 30.2lbs. The only changes from stock are a slighly shorter stem and 6in rear rotor instead of 7in.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
I have an 04-05 air sprung front and rear built up to be a light more XCish bike and I believe it's around 27 - 28 lbs. My favorite bike getting more saddle time then my late Nomad. That may change due to a new ride (Turner 5-Spot) I have for the upcoming season. The Heckler just works so good and fits my riding so much, it's going to be hard to beat. Time will tell.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i guess the consensus here is that i should stop complaining, and start building up the wattage? and looks like everybody has decided the coil in the back is the way to go.
i guess the weight can always be used as an excuse! hahaha
thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
hi mine started at 29.5

now 36.3
started with full xt xtr shifters
cross-max st
cross mark tires 2.1
talas 32 140
was cool light and fast ...:)
now after a few upgrades
Magura Wotan 160
dt 2200 rear wheel
front deemax untill i'll switch the front hub for 20mm on my dt
fron tier 2.5 weir wolf
rear tier 2.5 minions 2ply
mallet flats instead of acids
frame seize large
now the bike is super cool heavy fast Cruise :D :D :D
pic taken last Saturday

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Mine is also 36.3! (sometimes lighter with smaller tires)

DHX coil shock, RS Domain u-turn coil fork, mavic 823 rims, 8" elixir brakes, flat pedals. Front tire Hutchinson Octopus 2.5 tubeless soft compound, rear tire Intense 909 2.5 exdc. Occasionally put on specialized 2bliss chunders 2.3 for long rides with lots of climbing, saves 1.6 lbs. Long ago it was 29 lbs with a completely opposite build. I think the Heckler likes being heavy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, mine weighs in at just over 30lbs. It was not much more that my stock Trance which is supposed to be an XC bike I have not made any special light choices except for tubless and the I beam post and seat. The rest of it is SLX double and bash, Saint brakes, DHX5 shock, XT mechs at the back SLX at the front with some adjustable coil Pikes (454?). Great bike, I use it for all the riding I do whether up lift or pedal up. wind the forks down and it pedals up as good as Not sure why people stress about the weight so much, If you want a bit less weight to get up the hill then eat fewer pies {;o)

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
My XL '08 is 32-33 lbs. depending on my tire combination.

DHX Coil
Float 36
Hope Pro II 20mm/10mm BO
DT 5.1 rims
X.9 Shifters
XT FD
X.0 RD
Shimano 756 Brakes 180mm F&R
Truvativ Stylo Cranks
Azonic B-52 bar
THomson Stem/Post
XT pedals
Nevegal 2.35 F&R

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my '08 Medium-sized Heckler. Weighs in officially at 29.6 lbs. Built just right for our local trails (technical climbs, mild to aggressive descents, but not much insane drops). Pedals and climbs pretty darn well in all conditions considering its heft.

I don't know what SC does to their bikes, but they are doing a magnificent job. Definitely a keeper. Thanks to the people at SCB! Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
my heckler

this build weighs 25 pounds. It can take a pounding and some good freeriding too, but it is build to be my ultimate do everything bike, meaning going up and down!! Front wheel on pic is not the original Roval (it got stolen). It has a green ano frame now.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
christophe_hartig said:
this build weighs 25 pounds. It can take a pounding and some good freeriding too, but it is build to be my ultimate do everything bike, meaning going up and down!! Front wheel on pic is not the original Roval (it got stolen). It has a green ano frame now.
specs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
specs to the above heckler 25 pounds build

crucial for light weight:
Specialized roval wheelset (1380 gr) with Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.4 rear (530 gr) and Continental Mountain King Supersonic 2.4 front (540 gr). Tires mounted tubeless with Stans Milk.

Manitou Minute III, 110 to 130 mm. 1605 grs. Climbing in 110 mm mode is fantastic!!
Fox RP3 with titanium bolts (340 gr), Much better than 5th Element air and coil.
FSA pig headset (heavy, cheap and bombproof, switching to a canecreek lower bearing, minus 50 gr).

Selle SLR saddle, Thomson Seatpost, XT drivetrain throughout, Eggbeater SL pedals, Carbon LowRiser bar Guizzo, Acor 100 mm stem, Magura SL brakes with 203 mm Alligator rotor front and Magura SL 160 mm rear

gripps are procraft i-grips (bar ends can be added easily for climbing, touring)

it all adds up to around 11.5 kg, love it

frame is a 04, it is just now getting an olive green ano finish (expected saving ca 150 gr)
Frame is 2506 gr with paint w/o damper

this bike has been very very reliable on Transalps and many, many tours (lots of riding in NZ) without getting too much attention. Very easy to maintain, just changing wear parts (drivetrain, tires). Front brake a bit weak, this is why a 203 mm rotor. in case you wonder about the wheelset. The Rovals are very light, but I do jump them and they have seen some very gnarly trails. But you have to choose your line carefully. Tubeless is great!! What was said about the Roval also goes for the tirechoice.
go out and ride!!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts