Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into what some of theMTB street trainers are averaging in speed on workouts. I just broke 17.1 average on my lunch 20.1 mile route with a variance of 200 metter elevation. Just curios what are some of the times others average on street when training. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
usually between 16.5 and 17mph on winding country roads and hard pack but lumpy enough not to have my fork locked out off road, thats for about 25 miles. for longer rides of about 50 to 60 i average around 14mph

lee

·
Registered
883 Posts
If it's flat and kinda hardpack not mud and I have good day, then I usually came around 30-35km/h (18-21mph I guess :) ) for tracks around 40-50km. But usually that's with a bit higher HR then on normal trainings ;)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Lot of variables

Besides age, there is wind, heat, road surface, tires and weight of bike. The 600 feet or so of climbing over 20 miles isnt much of a factor but it can slow you down a bit. If your racing expert you already know how fast you are but I would think an expert rider under 35 years of age riding a hardtail with fast tires on fairly hard smooth gravel could average 20mph. A sport level rider about 18-19 mph and all the old guys a little less.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I definitely agree on this Borregokid. Heat, tires and road surface (more holes on gravel does slow you down a lot more then someone might think, so as soft "sand" on gravel) makes lot of difference. Wind for me usually doesn't matter since in forrest there's usually not so much of a problem as it's on road. And bike weight doesn't make much difference for me either. Ok I guess riding some 20kg beast compared to my 11kg hardtail would make difference, but 1kg up or down doesn't really matter for me.
And even if 200 height meters aren't all that much on 20 miles ride, it shows quite lot on average speed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replies

Here in Richmond IN, I am a little of an oddity. I ride to work back and forth (everyday rain, shine,snow, or even tornado) and recently added a 10 mile loop at lunch (9:00pm). I have no one to talk with this about. I ride an ventana x-5, have some Michelin Transworld City 1.95 on it now. I am going to replace with some Kenda Short Trackers 1.90s and run tubeless. Should save me at least 3lbs.I am a RN at a state hospital in Indiana and have ridden to work every day now since last november. I started off averaging 13-14mph but with IRC Mibros 2.00s Wore out fast and didnt roll very well on street IMHO, Since then have lost over 25lbs and just keep getting more addicted to rides. At age 41, I just like to see how I compare and maybe some goals to shoot for from you guys. Like i said, I was tickled to break 17.1 average as I have no real training routine...get on bike and ride for the love of it. I just got my dinotte ultra 3 so am adding some more miles on way home ( brings up average to 25miles a day). To and from work I ride with a 30+lb backpack, but lunch I ride W/O.(funny b/c with backpack I rie 100 mm suspension up front, but w/o pack I FIND IT BETTER AT 130 MM) With help from Chad @ redbarn, I am a little OCD on building my bike but it is getting to perfection.I am using both a garmin etrex and a Polar 725 w/o HR (my kids are suspected in playing with it and giving it a dark new home) but I should be getting a Garmin 305 soon and that should unclutter the bars a bit. Anyway, point is just appreciate your comments (I am not doing real bad for an average,,right? For a full suspension?)

Thanks and fast trails

Rob

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
That riding back and forth to work is a nice way to get in some training rides. I would say your speed would probably put you right in their with the sport riders your age. A lighter bike would help if you ever decided to race. Winter comes put some studs on and see how long you can keep riding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Gives me some sense of where I am. Hope to build a lighter rig soon. It is so cool to get input. Just makes me wanna reach the next level. I did ride thru last winter. ..ps....why is it always assumed by others that if you ride religously you must have lost your liscence? Non riders just dont get it.

Bests all

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.