Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm transitioning this year from Beginner to Sport class and from a steel hardtail (Jamis Dakota XC) to my first FS bike (2006 SC Blur XC). I'm pretty psyched to get out on my new rig and by my current estimates, it'll be 25.5 to 25.75 pounds (Large) when I put the last few parts on this weekend. I'm not a weight weenie but I just want to know the average weight of FS bikes in this class and if my rig will be considered heavy or not. I'm training smart and plenty and know that 90% of it comes down to that. Just curious about the other 10%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
kranest said:
I'm transitioning this year from Beginner to Sport class and from a steel hardtail (Jamis Dakota XC) to my first FS bike (2006 SC Blur XC). I'm pretty psyched to get out on my new rig and by my current estimates, it'll be 25.5 to 25.75 pounds (Large) when I put the last few parts on this weekend. I'm not a weight weenie but I just want to know the average weight of FS bikes in this class and if my rig will be considered heavy or not. I'm training smart and plenty and know that 90% of it comes down to that. Just curious about the other 10%.
I don't think it's too necessary to be too concerned racing sport. If you burned 2000 plus dollars on a new Blur I think that's all you need to know. I am gonna race a 2005 Top Fuel 98 in sport if that means anything. You got the bike, now it's time to kick some arse!
 

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
Joined
·
446 Posts
I race in expert with a 27-28# Epic, and can keep up with the guys with much lighter bikes. I've never really felt that I was at a disadvantage because of my bike (except at Sugar Mtn which is a super long and hard climb.) Most of the time though, a few pounds wont make a difference. (It is ridiculous how light and nice people make their bikes. Makes me wish.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
that is a good weight

I race expert with a bike that weight. you're fine. i had my bike lighter with a SID but a better and heavier fork didn't hurt my performance and actually made me better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,161 Posts
I think if you get the weight to 24.5 to 25.5 you'll be right in there around the median, mode and mean with the other fullys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
In sport class the weight wont be as important. Last year I was regularly trouncing riders with light weight high end rigs. The three times I raced expert I got beat by guys who were not only in a little better shape but had bikes that cost about 5x as much as mine. In a 90-120 minute race on a relative smooth course the bike might only be one or two minutes unless its really heavy FS rig with lots of bob.
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
After getting my clocked cleaned by guys on bikes literally 4-5 pounds heavier than mine, I learned not to worry about it. If its a Blur, it will not be a "tank". BTW: 25 lbs is plenty light at any level. Meirhaghe's bike weighed 24.5 lbs when he won the World Championship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
DaFireMedic said:
After getting my clocked cleaned by guys on bikes literally 4-5 pounds heavier than mine, I learned not to worry about it. If its a Blur, it will not be a "tank". BTW: 25 lbs is plenty light at any level. Meirhaghe's bike weighed 24.5 lbs when he won the World Championship.
Maybe you should use another reference ;)

Weight is important, but it's only second to form and technical abilities (that would make it third). I'd say start to _really_ worry about weight when you're about to race your first Semi-pro or Pro event. Besides, you'll have some room to improve for "cheap" (as opposed to training you butt off for months) when you need it most.

Maurice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
i just started racing at the end of this year and started in sport.i finished 12th out of 30 peaple and my bike weighs over 30lbs.just have fun and enjoy the race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
DaFireMedic said:
After getting my clocked cleaned by guys on bikes literally 4-5 pounds heavier than mine, I learned not to worry about it. If its a Blur, it will not be a "tank". BTW: 25 lbs is plenty light at any level. Meirhaghe's bike weighed 24.5 lbs when he won the World Championship.
Meirhaghe used enough EPO to win on a Huffy.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top