Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know around what a DH bike should weight or what the average weight is? I just weighted my mod-ed DH all-mountain bike last night and it weights 40 pounds. Is that high, low, or right on? I'm about 5'8'' and weigh about 148 pounds. I switched out the fork and now it's freakishly front heavy, so that's bad...but I'll fix that someday....when I have money to throw around....:thumbsup:

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
I think you'll find most guys here will answer your question in some variation of this:

...As light as you can afford to build it without sacrificing strength according to your weight and riding style.

That being said, I personally have felt lately that anything sub 40 being achieved to be a success and 33-35 being around as light as most DH builds will allow without actually pushing an AM rig into unintended territory.

·
StraightOuttaCompton
3,145 Posts
my bike is probably about 44. so it just depends how much cash you want to spend. i dont have too much cash, so my bike is pretty nice, but its heavy.

·
Registered
486 Posts
my bike weighs about 48 lbs which i think is on the high end. I'd say average is, as William said, probably in the mid 40's, but i'd put it closer to the 42-43 lb. range.

I don't mind having a heavy bike though. I'm pretty heavy for my height and don't have much of a problem moving the bike around. Feels more stable to me as well, but that could also have to do with the geometry.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
36.5 with freeride tires and for harder courses 38.6 with DH casings!
But average is 37-43 anything around that above that within a couple but not below that is a durable build usually! If its below that and durable then you have either a crapload of $ into it or too many XC parts for DH!

·
Pin it
213 Posts
My bike weighs 48, and I weigh 145. It was the best I could afford (it was used), and it rides great so I'm happy. New DH bikes are in the ~40# range, and slightly older bikes are are in the mid 40's.*

*In my opinion

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I'd say that the average is 40 lbs. Most reliable bikes are still around the 39-42lb. range. Reliable meaning, "won't break 1 race into a race season".

But you figure some guys are still running old Super 8's with Shivers and Dorados that come in at a cool 47-50 lbs., and some guys are riding Session 88's that are down to 34, so 40 lbs. would be about the average weight these days.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
These are my standards...
Aim for Sub-40
Be happy at Sub-43
Bikes needs a diet over 43

But at the expense of what? I would never sacrifice handling, performance, geometry, durability, and my savings account to get to Sub-40. I have spent extra $$$ smartly to have a bike that is manageable and makes me happy. I have never spent lots $$$ just to save grams.

Interestingly... I do spend $$$ to be sure I get the color themes right. Franken bikes are ugly and not fun to look at. Example: no Sunline products on my bikes, never match.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Wyrm, I agree. I hopped on some bikes that felt so light I'd worry if they're get tossed around a little bit when coming down a rocky ridge or step techy section.

I liked my 7point. It was just over 40 pounds, and rode like a dream. I'm hoping my new DH bike will perform the same way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.