Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bike shop here charged a whopping $75 just for an out of box assembly. Didn't even adjust the air shocks. The bike was mostly put together already. My front der. even needs further adjusting.

They offer pack and ship services, but needless to say I won't be going back.

I'm flying out to CO in August to stay with my brother. I want to bring the bike out, but I don't trust airline "throwers".

I'm in CT, so shipping should probably run around $50, but then there's the packing part. I'd want to have it done professionally.

It does not need to be shipped back home, as we are moving him back to the northeast and making a roadtrip out of it.

Has anyone had experience with this?
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
37,911 Posts
mkiv808 said:
A bike shop here charged a whopping $75 just for an out of box assembly. Didn't even adjust the air shocks. The bike was mostly put together already. My front der. even needs further adjusting.

They offer pack and ship services, but needless to say I won't be going back.

I'm flying out to CO in August to stay with my brother. I want to bring the bike out, but I don't trust airline "throwers".

I'm in CT, so shipping should probably run around $50, but then there's the packing part. I'd want to have it done professionally.

It does not need to be shipped back home, as we are moving him back to the northeast and making a roadtrip out of it.

Has anyone had experience with this?
Depends on the size, sometimes frames 19" and larger get an "oversize" charge, and that makes it at least double what it would be for the smaller bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jayem said:
Depends on the size, sometimes frames 19" and larger get an "oversize" charge, and that makes it at least double what it would be for the smaller bikes.
It's a medium frame, 17.5" I believe.
 

·
Expert Pushing SSer
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
mkiv808 said:
My buddy shipped his via UPS and it was close to $80. On the return, I ran it over to FedEx and shipped it for $18. I was shocked to see the discrepency! Needless to say, brown is out, FedEx is in. Same box, same stuff both trips. Oh, that is FedEx GROUND. FWIW.

EDIT: His bike is a large.

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Meat Foot said:
My buddy shipped his via UPS and it was close to $80. On the return, I ran it over to FedEx and shipped it for $18. I was shocked to see the discrepency! Needless to say, brown is out, FedEx is in. Same box, same stuff both trips. Oh, that is FedEx GROUND. FWIW.
FWIW, I've also had much better prices shipping large/oddly shaped packages with FedEx than UPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
mkiv808 said:
A bike shop here charged a whopping $75 just for an out of box assembly. Didn't even adjust the air shocks. The bike was mostly put together already. My front der. even needs further adjusting.

They offer pack and ship services, but needless to say I won't be going back.

I'm flying out to CO in August to stay with my brother. I want to bring the bike out, but I don't trust airline "throwers".

I'm in CT, so shipping should probably run around $50, but then there's the packing part. I'd want to have it done professionally.

It does not need to be shipped back home, as we are moving him back to the northeast and making a roadtrip out of it.

Has anyone had experience with this?
For about a bill you can get a one of those corrugated plastic shipping containers that a forklift blade cannot pierce. May not be what you're looking for b/c it sounds like you're only shipping once, but packing/unpacking it yourself in one of these saves you the LBS fees. Pays for itself quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2-old-2-go-slow said:
For about a bill you can get a one of those corrugated plastic shipping containers that a forklift blade cannot pierce. May not be what you're looking for b/c it sounds like you're only shipping once, but packing/unpacking it yourself in one of these saves you the LBS fees. Pays for itself quickly.
What would I need to do to fit it in one? Just remove the seat/handlebars/front wheel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
2-old-2-go-slow said:
For about a bill you can get a one of those corrugated plastic shipping containers that a forklift blade cannot pierce. May not be what you're looking for b/c it sounds like you're only shipping once, but packing/unpacking it yourself in one of these saves you the LBS fees. Pays for itself quickly.
Here's the one I was thinking about when I wrote this: ColoradoCyclist shipping box
 

·
post-ride specialist
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
mkiv808 said:
... but then there's the packing part. I'd want to have it done professionally.
...
Uh, well, consider that the packing will be done by the lowest-paid person at that particular shop...
 

·
Map Maker
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
pack it your self - you will do it right and will take the time to make sure nothing is going to "fall out of the box"

get some bubble wrap and some stretchy packing plastic wrap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I got a nice bike box free from a local bike store....It was for a Trek and had built in foam, locking straps and plastic piece to insert into fork....anyway, took me about ten minutes to pack my bike--not an mtb bike, a cross bike...Shipped it from CA to NY Fedex Ground for $50. Took one week to arrive....another ten minutes to put it back together I was riding. It was really very easy. (It's a backup bike so I sent it early and it arrived basically when I did).
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top