Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
Joined
·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are alot of young un's in the 10 - 20's that do this and I know there are older gents and ladies that do this sport as well.

Is there an age -- level of mtbking activity correllation? I am 36 and just now learning this sport and sometimes I wonder if I am just too old to be thinking about it or is it just my beetchy wife talking??
 

·
Use this space for what?
Joined
·
219 Posts
Lawson Raider said:
I know there are alot of young un's in the 10 - 20's that do this and I know there are older gents and ladies that do this sport as well.

Is there an age -- level of mtbking activity correllation? I am 36 and just now learning this sport and sometimes I wonder if I am just too old to be thinking about it or is it just my beetchy wife talking??
I don't think so. And, I don't think it's too late for you to start!! Go out there and do it 'cause you love it.

I'd love to be able to keep riding till I'm 50 and then even more (18 now)
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
I started in the ladder months of 38...just turned 43....so maybe you are too young;) ;) go get em youngin'
 

Attachments

·
I just wanna ride my bike
Joined
·
845 Posts
Lawson Raider said:
I\ Sometimes I wonder if I am just too old to be thinking about it or is it just my beetchy wife talking??
These two quotes say it best for me:

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm (Thoreau)

Live your life and forget your age (Norman Vincent Peale)

Don't listen to your wife. :nono: Go ride your bike and enjoy the challenge of taking up a new sport/way of life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Never Too Old!

I didn't start till I was 37, I'll be 43 next month. I'm in better shape now than I was in high school. Life's not all about working, you need play time too. And there's nothing better than getting that heart pounding on a bike to remember what life is really about, it's about living, Get out and ride your a$$ off!!:thumbsup:
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
TheotherH said:
Don't listen to your wife. :nono: Go ride your bike and enjoy the challenge of taking up a new sport/way of life.
an added plus fpr her....you will have more stamina in the bedroom....meaning you can be the piston way longer :devil: :devil: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :p :p :thumbsup::thumbsup: :devil: :devil:
 

·
Out there
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
I think mtbing is a bit like snowboarding in that the median age is probably older than you think.

A lot of people bike in their teens and twenties, then get sidetracked into, y'know, work and stuff, then seem to rediscover it as they head towards 40.

I'm 42, and my mtbing friends are all in their 30s and 40s, mostly the latter.
 

·
ravingbikefiend
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
I'm 41 and have really gotten into riding off road in the past three years but have been a passionate cyclist ever since I got my first tricycle.
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
I'm 57, been riding seriously (fitness and racing) since 1970, first MTB in 1979. Riding 100 to 150 miles a week. People look at me and guess my age as 42-45. So if I look 15 years younger than I am, and I have 21 years on you, how do you want to look and feel - 36 or 63? :D

 

·
Double-metric mtb man
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
I was a big time cyclist in my youth but then moved out where a dirtbike or quad was the norm. I've been back in town for the last three years and started riding again a couple years ago....just turned 32 and plan to be riding hard for at least the next 30 years....after that, I'll be riding medium-hard for the following 30 years :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
You're just a youngster. I started seriously when I was 49 (53 now) and love to get out and ride as often as I can. About a year ago we were waiting on one of our group when an older gentleman came riding off of the expert trail on a fully rigid bike. We had skipped that part of the trail because it is one rock garden after another for about 4 miles. He mentioned the section of the trail he just rode was pretty tough and asked us to tell his wife who following behind by a couple of minutes that he was going on. After we picked our jaws off the ground we waited and gave the wife his message and then took off after him. We never caught him on the trail but saw him in the parking lot.

He told us he was 61 and that he and his wife traveled around the country riding as many trails as they could. I want to be like that guy!

I'm lucky because my wife supports my riding.... probably because I come back in a really good mood each time. The only time she is not enthusiastic about my riding is when I come home bleeding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
I'm 30. Grew up in bike shops, & racing in juniors, started designing frames at ten, built my first one at 13, went to work at my first bike mfg job at 15, started my first bike company at 19, and now at 30, cycling has taken me through 35 major moves around the world, I've started and lost three of my own companies, worked as a designer for a handful of others, and have racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. So, homeless, broke, and alone, I'm now starting over, a non-cycling life, taking a minimum-wage shipping & receiving job at a book store, and saving to return to college to pursue a career in something that wont leave me for dead. The things we do for cycling sometimes... well, it's been a hell of a ride. I now look forward to going out for easy, carefree rides through the mountains in my new hometown, where no one knows me, and I don't have to explain any of it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Older gents???????????

Perhaps some day we will meet on the trailhead and I promise you. You will have a tire track up your backside. My best friend and current ride mate said something similar on our first ride together. " He said Lets see what ya got old man." It was like waving a red flag at a bull. A few minutes later when he wouldnt let me pass, I stuck my bar end up his arze. He never said that again. Jim
 

·
going for a ride
Joined
·
581 Posts
That's not so bad

Horus said:
I'm 30. Grew up in bike shops, & racing in juniors, started designing frames at ten, built my first one at 13, went to work at my first bike mfg job at 15, started my first bike company at 19, and now at 30, cycling has taken me through 35 major moves around the world, I've started and lost three of my own companies, worked as a designer for a handful of others, and have racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. So, homeless, broke, and alone, I'm now starting over, a non-cycling life, taking a minimum-wage shipping & receiving job at a book store, and saving to return to college to pursue a career in something that wont leave me for dead. The things we do for cycling sometimes... well, it's been a hell of a ride. I now look forward to going out for easy, carefree rides through the mountains in my new hometown, where no one knows me, and I don't have to explain any of it. :)
I know people who destroy their lives and have nothing to show for it. Well, money is something but not everything. Who cares, as long as you're healthy enough to do something you love. Good thing you're looking on the bright side of life, that's always a good sign. Keep it up.https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
I will be 44 this year and have been riding mountain bikes since the late 80's. I still love it. Although I take pride in my riding ability at my age, I take more pride in being humble when it concerns my ability.
 

·
amar la vida de dos niner
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
I'm 44. Started MBing at 35. And that was "from scratch," as my prior activites involved no sports, only music.

Pay no mind to any negative voices, from outside or within. It's all good.
 
1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top