Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me exactly what Avenue A. is? I know it's advertising related, and I'm sure it's got something to do with tracking my usage of the MTBR site but why does the page stop downloading if I block the download of Avenue A (via spybot S&D)? Anyone else have this problem?

It's got to be one of the most anoying features of the 'new and improved' site.

·
2,548 Posts
Stick said:
Can someone please explain to me exactly what Avenue A. is? I know it's advertising related, and I'm sure it's got something to do with tracking my usage of the MTBR site but why does the page stop downloading if I block the download of Avenue A (via spybot S&D)? Anyone else have this problem?

It's got to be one of the most anoying features of the 'new and improved' site.
Hmmmmmm......Not exactly sure, but believe Ave A is a tracking cookie or something like that. I'm running Spybot S&D (running "Resident in IE sessions") and it blocks Ave A but have never had any problem with the page not loading (well, at least not since getting broadband....mtbr was painful to visit on my old dialup, and using IE isn't the best choice - Mozilla's Firefox works great, and pages seem, at least on my comp, to load much quicker - plus you can handily block ads/images/etc quite easily, further increasing load speed). Sorry, have no help for the issue of the page not loading, like I said - I use S&D, Ave A is blocked, and page loads just fine, here....

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuelish said:
Hmmmmmm......Not exactly sure, but believe Ave A is a tracking cookie or something like that. I'm running Spybot S&D (running "Resident in IE sessions") and it blocks Ave A but have never had any problem with the page not loading (well, at least not since getting broadband....mtbr was painful to visit on my old dialup, and using IE isn't the best choice - Mozilla's Firefox works great, and pages seem, at least on my comp, to load much quicker - plus you can handily block ads/images/etc quite easily, further increasing load speed). Sorry, have no help for the issue of the page not loading, like I said - I use S&D, Ave A is blocked, and page loads just fine, here....
I've got a cable modem, so download speed has never been an issue. Every time I visit the site, I get a message saying 'Spybot has blocked the download of Avenue A." and the page doesn't open. All I get is the header at the top and a blank white page. If I click refresh about a dozen times, I may get the same blank page a dozen times. Every once in a while, I won't get the Ave A message, and the page loads fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My solution...

Stick said:
I've got a cable modem, so download speed has never been an issue. Every time I visit the site, I get a message saying 'Spybot has blocked the download of Avenue A." and the page doesn't open. All I get is the header at the top and a blank white page. If I click refresh about a dozen times, I may get the same blank page a dozen times. Every once in a while, I won't get the Ave A message, and the page loads fine.
The same thing used to happen to me--Especially if I would open different forums into different windows. It just wouldn't open most of the time...

Anyhoo,

1. open SS&D
2.Click Immunize (left side menu..)
3.look at the bottom (you might need to use the scroller) for a set of options
4. You are probably set on "ask for blocking conformation" (I was..)
5. set choice to "block all bad pages silently"

The forums now work a lot smoother for me. Of course, I have no idea(I will know when I scan) if the cookies are even being blocked, but I can at least read the messages.
Did you ever go to ebay and see the windows SS&D throws up??

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
After getting nailed by a trojan virus

Fuelish said:
Pimpbot is cleaning the puter and installing windows 2k . The first thing im going to do is install the modzilla/firefox browser. IE has to many pitfalls...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.