Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of the most respected suspension guys out there....push is pricier....anyone tried both? I'm looking to throw one of these on my Guerilla gravity Megatrail. Gotta wait if I choose Push for a heavier spring but they should be getting them this summer. I like everything I've read and heard about Craigs Avalanche Woodie and his expertise.

Feedback from experience would be great! Thx!!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I've only ever dealt with Craig, but have ordered numerous shock tunes from him along with a fork cartridge. He's stuff has always transformed my bike. He's great to deal with will talk to you in as much detail as you want/can understand about your setup and what you looking for.

Do yourself a favor and at least call him and chat before you do anything.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've exchanged emails and he been very close to pulling the trigger on the avy. Putting the final nail in the coffin on the 11-6 before I order the avy

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,372 Posts
And to add to that, I loved my Woodie, it was like having my cake and eating it too, in terms of firm low-speed compression damping and bike stability (not wobling through the g-outs and ruts), but still blowing off like butter for the high speed bumps. As you went faster through rough terrain, it felt better and better, kind of the opposite of what I've always experienced with OEM shocks.

Lots of times when there was a sharp-bump in the trail, rock, root, something, and it just felt like level ground because the shock worked so well.

I should get my Lyric avalanche cartridge on Monday and once my Fox RC4 shows up, I'm sending my Monarch+ off to get the treatment at Avy.

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
I can't speak for the avy but I really like the ElevenSix on my Turner RFX. That said, go Extreme! Storia Extreme Shox | Stendec
Wow, talk about a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo:

"With the changing world of the mountain bike and the increased use of the 275 wheel size, EXT & STENDEC have spent considerable time evaluating effects of damping frequencies that 275 produces against 26 inch.

As 275 smooths out the bigger holes that 26 falls into on the trail and DH course and the increased speed you ride at, this requires a finer tuned suspension with a bigger range of high frequency control, both the ARMA & STORIA are available in these tunes giving you an enhanced 275 ride."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Wow, talk about a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo:

"With the changing world of the mountain bike and the increased use of the 275 wheel size, EXT & STENDEC have spent considerable time evaluating effects of damping frequencies that 275 produces against 26 inch.

As 275 smooths out the bigger holes that 26 falls into on the trail and DH course and the increased speed you ride at, this requires a finer tuned suspension with a bigger range of high frequency control, both the ARMA & STORIA are available in these tunes giving you an enhanced 275 ride."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
Well, it's translated from Italian;) I did a parking lot test with one mounted on an Ibis HD3 the other day. It was awesome on curbs and g-outs in the parking lot. I rode up some steps and the traction was phenomenal.

No really, it did feel pretty nice and if I was considering an 11-6, Chubbie, or Cane Creek coil I would at least consider it. It's lighter than the 11-6 and $200 cheaper. Something to consider anyway.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! I'm a big fan of Avalanche as there's not been one unhappy person I could find.

I'm probably.going to pull the trigger on the woodie. I Like Push because its a hometown company and the 11-6 is pretty badass, but I also like Avy's simplicity and from.what I gather from Craig's comments the Woodie is 90% dialed in the minute I get it. The other 10% is purely personal preference adjustments. Both have rave reviews but the Avy is $600 less. Hmmm

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
While I love my Woodie in my DH bike, don't you have a switch on the Push shock that gives you two different damping settings?? So almost like a climb switch? That would be attractive on a pedally bike. Call Craig and ask his opinion on it. He might steer you in a different direction.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd much rather give the business to PUSH than Avalanche. If you like listening to Craig go on and on about his ego and like getting totally whack damping setups, then Avalanche is your place. Darren is much more reasonable to deal with.

That is one expensive shock though...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Push does have that feature, however I hvnt used my climb switch on the CCDB air I have on it now so not sure I need it. Plus the Megatrail has a gravity mode setting that makes this bike somewhat dual purpose Trail and DH. Setting it up more gravity oriented anyways. Ill call Craig tomorrow. Thx for the advice

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
A few things I would consider when purchasing a high end aftermarket shock:

1. What technology am I getting? With ELEVENSIX we have created the only MTB shock that offers our Dual Overhead Technology. In simple terms this gives you two completely different shocks in one, user defined, and switchable on-the-fly while riding. So rather than having a suspension tuner or manufacturer define your setup, you the rider finally get to decide what's best for you with controls at your finger tips.

2. How closely did the suspension company work with the bike company? In the case of the ELEVENSIX, we get each and every bike on our application list for full evaluation. This includes significant saddle time! Once completed with our R&D we submit a final sample to the frame manufacture for feedback before releasing it to the public. As an example, this level of development with the manufacture is why ELEVENSIX is the only manufacturer approved coil over for the Pivot Mach6.

3. What kind of test and development goes into the product? With ELEVENISX, not only do we use state-of-the-art on board data logging equipment and custom built suspension simulators from Roehrig Engineering in support of our engineering department, but each and every ELEVENSIX is dyno tested prior to leaving our building and being delivered to your door in order to ensure quality.

4. Where is the product manufactured? Not everyone finds this one important, but we sure do! In the case of ELEVENSIX, 100% of the machined parts are manufactured under our roof from only domestic raw materials and every vendor component is sourced domestically. This is a claim only we can make. While this does cost more, it ensures a level of precision and quality that simply can't be duplicated when outsourcing production to Asia.

5. What type of product support to I get? In the case of PUSH you get a direct link to the people who designed, manufactured, tested, and hand assembled your product. No matter what the level of support you need, it is readily available by our staff of professionals. This is why we make our phone number and email readily available on the website.

6. How future proof is the product? ELEVENSIX is designed to be a long term purchase featuring unrivaled durability and performance. If/When you get a new bike your shock can simply be sent in for a Factory Rebuild and reconfigured for that new bike no matter what the change. If the new bike is on the list, we can get you sorted.

Darren

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx for chiming in Darren! In all honesty I'd have that shock on my GG Megatrail if you had a spring to support my weight. I've been waiting a year for the heavier spring weights and getting closer to park riding season. It's worth the wait if I can get it in time. I'm running 250# dressed so I'm way over the weight limit but I have a strong desire for a coil shock over the cane creek db air that I have now. Any news on the lead time for heavier springs?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thx for chiming in Darren! In all honesty I'd have that shock on my GG Megatrail if you had a spring to support my weight. I've been waiting a year for the heavier spring weights and getting closer to park riding season. It's worth the wait if I can get it in time. I'm running 250# dressed so I'm way over the weight limit but I have a strong desire for a coil shock over the cane creek db air that I have now. Any news on the lead time for heavier springs?
I hear ya. We really underestimated spring rates for the 2.25" stroke shocks as we didn't think they would be too popular. Boy were we wrong! Anyway, I'll see where we are on the stiffer designs and let you know.

Darren

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,372 Posts
Well, it's translated from Italian;) I did a parking lot test with one mounted on an Ibis HD3 the other day. It was awesome on curbs and g-outs in the parking lot. I rode up some steps and the traction was phenomenal.

No really, it did feel pretty nice and if I was considering an 11-6, Chubbie, or Cane Creek coil I would at least consider it. It's lighter than the 11-6 and $200 cheaper. Something to consider anyway.
Seems to have a pretty standard motorcross high/low circuit in the reservoir bridge, nothing earth-shattering, but it can work very well, it's essentially what Avy uses in many of their shocks, except you have to have a custom tune of course for maximum benefits.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Just to continue the discussion since those posting in this thread are industry or coil aficionados but did anyone read the reviews in BIKE?

This w/ regard to the DHX2...
like pretty much every coil shock, it makes the bike feel less lively. Since you can't make the coil ramp in the same way as an air spring, you'll trade a bit of pop and playfulness for ground-hugging performance.
This w/ regard to the CC DB coil....
fearless plowing comes at a price....the lively pop of the bike is diminished.
Both reviews were on a Nomad which rode to me more like a plow bike (with an air shock) and nimble and playful was not my general impression. It is also implied by one review that switching to coil turns your all mountain shredder to a downhill brawler. Again not my impression with a Pushed VanR, MX tune, or now the ElevenSix. They also review the latter shock as well as the Ext Storia but not much meat in either review other than they look nice.

If anything, the avy mod on the Fox CTD shock I had on my Ibis Ripley killed the pop at the expense of much better mid stroke support/suppleness. It was a trade I was willing to make. Funny, that was the only thing I liked about the CC Inline. Very playful at high speed but I couldn't tune it to my liking for pretty much anything else. I'm really digging the ElevenSix. Playful and lively are exactly what comes to mind and I find myself looking for any opportunity to boost section of trail and launch tree rooty sections and rock gardens. I don't see any reason not to run a coil on your all mountain trail rig except for the weight penalty.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either. That being said I've got a Chubie w/ ti Spring on my Mojo HD and couldn't be happier. Truly bottomless & plush. Works well with the DW link and I have little to no pedal bob.

Let us know how you like whichever one you choose!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts