Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Craig at Avalanche will do his SSD Modification & HSB Adjustment System and Revalve/Rebuild on Rockshox Deluxe, Super Deluxe for $190, Fox DPS for $225, DPX2 for $250.

Reading about the new "Ultimate" and "Select+" improvements to the 2019+ Deluxe, Super Deluxe and Super Deluxe Coil, it makes me wonder which of these options would be a better investment.

Bike Rumor summed up the new damper mods pretty well:

"Rockshox added a shim stack above the low speed rebound’s adjuster needle, which serves two purposes. First, it acts like a check valve to stop flow from going the wrong way. Which means that when you hit something or press down on the bike, oil can’t flow backwards through the rebound circuit. Second, it also lets them better tune the low speed rebound while still giving you user friendly external adjustments.

What’s the benefit?
It means that when you’re pushing on the bike, like when driving into a berm and need more support, it’s better able to push back and help you stay in control. But when it hits something big, it’s still able to get the wheel out of the way quickly. All of this is tech that was available in the Super Deluxe with the piggy back reservoir, but now they’ve fit it into the non-piggy-backed inline shock body.

There is a few different things happening when Craig at Avalanche tunes your shock - custom shim stack, along with Redesigned valving system with speed sensitive shim stack(SSD) and Converts the Lever to HSB compression threshold adjustment System.

I would assume that the Avalanche tune and upgrade is still far and away a more noticeable impact than a single check valve that allows the Deluxe to behave more like the Super Deluxe, but I just wanted to check - I've never ridden an Avalanche tuned shock.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You would assume correctly...

I think a lot of what we read online about suspension products is marketing BS. Yeah things have improved A LOT over the years, and the claims RS is making about their suspension may be legit, but custom tuning is always the way to go.

This is what you need to do: Call Avalanche and speak to Craig and ask him your question. He'll no doubt tell you his upgrade/tuning is better but will explain in detail why. Make sure you don't have any appointments or you're not on your way to go do something...he'll talk for a while! Haha!

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I talked with Craig about some of my questions:

Is it worth paying for Deluxe Ultimate and adding Avalanche SSD/HSB?

Craig's response? Not really. Yea, the extra tuning ability of the 3-Postion LSC knob is pretty nice, but plenty of Avalanche customers have been happy without it. The Checked Damper that Rockshox is selling on the new Deluxe Ultimate? Avalanche is already sorta doing something similar and has been for years.

Craig did indicate that the new MegNeg air can might be worth it for some riders, as it allows better tuning of the negative air spring, allowing more initial suppleness. That upgrade is $90.

The new Rockshox Deluxe Ultimate is $100 more than a new 2019 Deluxe RT3. (Lets say $250 vs $350), but you can find the Deluxe RT and RT3 all day long, used, for under $100. If you got an XC or Trail Bike that you want to keep lightweight but improve suspension performance, most people would likely be better served to send their existing shock to Avalanche to have him tune it than to spring for the Deluxe Ultimate.

I'll probably do this later in the year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts