Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have upgraded your forks? if so to what? I upgraded to a used Dart 3 i had from my FS I drive 5. Also, i want to upgrade my front and rear derailleurs and upgrade to hydraulic brakes. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I need to upgrade the Suntour fork on my '05. It sounds and performs like a rusty pogo stick. I will probably go with a rigid fork, CF if I'm feeling good. I installed a X9 drive train, shimano economy cranks/rings and house brand cable pull disc brakes. This bike is my around town, pull the kid's trailer, commuter.

Do whatever you want. You can get away with almost anything on an Avalanche.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I upgraded the craptastic suntour xcm to a Tora 302 and love every minute of it, right now I'm at a point of whether to continue upgrading my avalanche 3.0 or just upgrade to an expert, either, it's Avalanche all the way!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all,

Just a quick one!

I have an Avalanche 3 and I'm running a new set of Suntour XCR with a mechanical disc, the calliper is just a budget product but it seems to work fine.

The problem i'm having is the rear mechanical disc set up. The mounting bracket is similar but a slightly different size so ive kept the standard calliper, Teck.. something or other.... New disc and wheel though.

There is absolutely now power what so ever. If tweaked everything but cant seem to get any gains in performance.

?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
gm1230126 said:
This is where the Avalanche first started....1988. Some of you current Avalanche owners and riders probably weren't even thought of yet. Steel was real.
Hey now, some of us were in fact "thinking" on our own at that point.:eek: :blush:

Ell Tell said:
The problem i'm having is the rear mechanical disc set up. The mounting bracket is similar but a slightly different size so ive kept the standard calliper, Teck.. something or other.... New disc and wheel though.

There is absolutely now power what so ever. If tweaked everything but cant seem to get any gains in performance.

?

Any ideas?
Tektro. Have you ever replaced the caliper pads? The pads need to seat on the new disc which also may be causing weak power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Tekro brakes on an avalanche 3.0 are the worst ever! Do yourself a favor and get an Avid BB5 or 7.

I paid like 110 for the complete set of BB7, levers, calipers and discs and the difference was like night and day, sorry but the tekros need to be gone now!

my current upgrades:
Ergon GC2 grips
Rock Shox Tora 302
Avid BB7
Michelin Country Rock Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I have upgraded my fork to a Rock Shox Reba
Race. I have also pretty much upgraded the whole
bike. It is a Avalanche 2.0, and I have the weight
down to 24.7 pounds.

Best, John

·
Registered
18 Posts
The frame is an Avalanche 3.0 (2007) re-spray and I have F120, which many say are too long a travel, but seem ok with me (they’re a light fork but expensive). I agree with Saeta119, the BB7s are good mechs and they easily stop my slim mass of 215 lbs (nearly killed myself yesterday cos I stopped too quickly) and I like his tires ... not bad!

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My avalanche

just upgraded to LX shifters, XT front derailleur, 9 speed (it was 8 b4), and wtb sx24 wheels, and avid brake levers

enjoy the avalanche goodness

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all,

Coming from a 160 rotor on the rear, I've just ordered my BB7 and 203 rotor. :thumbsup:

Will I need an adapter bracket for the calliper? :confused:

Where will I get one?

Big thanks

Terry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, there! I see that most of you put forks with travel about 120/130mm on the Avalanches. My Avalanche is 3.0 2003 and I was thinking for Sr Suntour Duro but it`s 130mm and I was thinking will be there any problems. I`m watching the Sr Suntour XCR forks which is 120mm but some people say it`s weak. I`m riding XC/AM. What`s your opinion for the "Avalanche with 130mm"?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts