Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Rolling
11,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try to go ski winter park today and get turned around by the massive avalanche? I would love to see some photos.

Avalanche buries cars on Colo. pass
By ROBERT WELLER Associated Press Writer
© 2007 The Associated Press
TOOLS

DENVER - A huge avalanche buried cars on a mountain pass Saturday on the main highway to one of the state's largest ski areas, shortly after crowds headed through on the way to the lifts, authorities said.
Seven people had been rescued and one was taken to a hospital, said Stacey Stegman, a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Transportation.
"Our crews said it was the largest they have ever seen. It took three paths," Stegman said of the massive slide on U.S. 40 near 11,307-foot Berthoud Pass, about 50 miles west of Denver on the way to Winter Park Resort.
The slide buried at least two cars, state Patrolman Eric Wynn told CNN.
Crews were probing the area for other vehicles, including any that may have gone off the road, Stegman said.
The avalanche hit between 10 a.m. and 10:30 and was about 100 feet wide and 15 feet deep, Stegman said. The area usually has slides 2 to 3 feet deep because crews trigger them before more snow can accumulate, said Spencer Logan of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center.
Three snow storms in as many weeks have dumped more than 4 feet of snow on parts of Colorado and authorities haven't had time to test all slide areas, Spencer said.
"This is a tremendous amount of snow to come down the mountain for us," Stegman said.
Mile Cikara, who was headed to Winter Park to ski, told KMGH-TV in Denver that he joined others furiously digging out victims. "I along with 30 other people grabbed shovels and started digging to get people out. I had a shovel but people were using their hands, skis, ski poles, whatever, to dig out," until rescue teams arrived, he said.
The timing meant most traffic headed to the ski area had already passed through.
"Good thing it didn't happen a couple of hours earlier," said Darcy Morse, a Winter Park spokeswoman. On an average January weekend day, the resort draws more than 10,000 skiers and snowboarders, with lifts opening at 8:30 or 9 a.m.
Wynn said the pass was closed and would not reopen until Sunday at the earliest.

· Banned
3,857 Posts
lidarman said:
Anyone try to go ski winter park today and get turned around by the massive avalanche? I would love to see some photos.
Wow! I went to Keystone today but as I was nearing the exit (around 9:30 AM), I thought about going there. The traffic was atrocious this morning and for no apparent reason what-so-ever. Roads were in good shape and no accidents. It took 3:15 from Colorado Blvd and I70.

But it was a beautiful day and the snow was soooooo nice!

· Registered
938 Posts
schnauzers said:
I've been going up every weekend at the same time and never had that before. So enlighten me. 5:30 AM? I don't mind leaving early. Coming back wasn't too bad. Just a tad over 2 hours, but I took a detour to check on the house.
In my experience, there is no rhyme or reason to the gawdawful traffic patterns up I-70. Sooner or later, you get burned. Usually the weather plays a part in it, but you can never predict it.

Edit: On second thought, the good driving conditions coupled with all of the new snow probably sent everyone up the big hill.

· I'm a unitard!
1,513 Posts
I tried to go to Snow Mountain Ranch for some XC skiing today. Traffic was backed up to Evergreen (worst I've seen this winter). Sat in traffic for an hour and half. Got to the Empire exit and they were making drivers continue on 70 or turn around. My first thought, "why in the hell did they put up all those variable message signs if they aren't going to use them?":madman:

Headed to Eldora. Windy as hell there. Complete white out where the road goes by the pond/little reservoir. No half day pass and massive wind gusts made me head to Boulder. :madman: Skied for about two hours in Valmont Park. Started to head home to Denver and 36 was closed. Took 93 home. 4-5 hours of driving for two hours of skiing. Today kinda sucked.:cryin:

Sorry no pics. Hope they have that sucker cleared tomorrow.

· Registered
938 Posts
mtbfool said:
Headed to Eldora. Windy as hell there. Complete white out where the road goes by the pond/little reservoir. No half day pass and massive wind gusts made me head to Boulder
There's nothing quite like a 40 minute ride on the front lift at Eldora when it's blowing 40+ mph, and the stupid lift stops every 20 feet. When it's a whiteout at that pond, it's time to head home. Bummer, I feel your pain.

· I'm a unitard!
1,513 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
There's nothing quite like a 40 minute ride on the front lift at Eldora when it's blowing 40+ mph, and the stupid lift stops every 20 feet. When it's a whiteout at that pond, it's time to head home. Bummer, I feel your pain.
Thanks man.:cryin: Oh well, shiite happens right? I'm just starting to wonder when I'm going to be able to ride outside again. I need me to get me one of them there Pugsleys. They look like good fun. However, I need a FS version the way the damn roads are around here.

· Registered
938 Posts
mtbfool said:
Thanks man.:cryin: Oh well, shiite happens right? I'm just starting to wonder when I'm going to be able to ride outside again. I need me to get me one of them there Pugsleys. They look like good fun. However, I need a FS version the way the damn roads are around here.
You could totally ride to the top of green mountain right now on a pugsley. I bet it would be pretty fun.

· recovering racer
172 Posts
mtbfool said:
I feel your pain. I'm getting desperate to ride outside after a week on rollers. Bringing my FS to ride Cherry Creek reservoir loop on Monday at lunch...I may even skin up Falcon tomorrow on my tele gear.

· recovering racer
172 Posts
schnauzers said:
I've been going up every weekend at the same time and never had that before. So enlighten me. 5:30 AM? I don't mind leaving early. Coming back wasn't too bad. Just a tad over 2 hours, but I took a detour to check on the house.
Before New Years it's really the pre-season for skiing - weekend traffic is still light. From now on weekend ski traffic will suck. In my experience I had to leave Stapleton by 6am to get ahead of the traffic and leave the hill by 1pm to get back without sitting in traffic.

· I'm a unitard!
1,513 Posts
BipedZed said:
I feel your pain. I'm getting desperate to ride outside after a week on rollers. Bringing my FS to ride Cherry Creek reservoir loop on Monday at lunch...I may even skin up Falcon tomorrow on my tele gear.
I did some snowshoeing on Lookout Mountain Trail, Beaver Brook Trail, etc. last weekend. Probably one of the best outings I have had. Nice, deep, and fresh.

Topped it off with a stout at Golden City.
They were out of Evolution.:bluefrown:

I thought about taking the Yeti out, but I need to sell it soon and don't want to get it all gunked up. Let the $hit giving commence.

· recovering racer
172 Posts
mtbfool said:
I thought about taking the Yeti out, but I need to sell it soon and don't want to get it all gunked up. Let the $hit giving commence.
You can get a decent 3-4 hr ride on a cross bike on the Highline Canal path when it's snow covered. I did it a few times a few winters back when everything was snow covered. I would get on just south of Colorado and Hampden and head south to Chatfield then north up to east Denver and back.

No $hit from me...I sold my team frame every year to make way for the new one.

glad I'm not Romo right now......

· I'm a unitard!
1,513 Posts
BipedZed said:
You can get a decent 3-4 hr ride on a cross bike on the Highline Canal path when it's snow covered. I did it a few times a few winters back when everything was snow covered. I would get on just south of Colorado and Hampden and head south to Chatfield then north up to east Denver and back.

No $hit from me...I sold my team frame every year to make way for the new one.

glad I'm not Romo right now......
Yeah, I've done several snow rides on my cross bike, I'll probably bust it out tomorrow if I can't get over Berthoud.

Yeah, I saw that. I was wanting the Cowboys to win.

· contains quinine
4,619 Posts
mtbfool said:
ISkied for about two hours in Valmont Park.
I've been skiing from the Flatirons Vista trailhead a bunch. Today I headed up Doudy Draw (accross from the south end of the Mesa Trail) and it was might good. I'll probably head back out there tomorrow.

· Banned
3,857 Posts
BipedZed said:
Before New Years it's really the pre-season for skiing - weekend traffic is still light. From now on weekend ski traffic will suck. In my experience I had to leave Stapleton by 6am to get ahead of the traffic and leave the hill by 1pm to get back without sitting in traffic.
Looks like I'll be taking some PTO. :rolleyes:

I did notice that JeffCo cleared the bike paths along 6 and 93. Concreate yes, but at least it's rideable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.