Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I've only had SS frames with disc brakes that used sliding dropouts or an EBB. With this type of SS dropout and disc brakes, How does the caliper adjust to the rotor when the wheel is moved to adjust chain tension? Or is this even a concern.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've only had SS frames with disc brakes that used sliding dropouts or an EBB. With this type of SS dropout and disc brakes, How does the caliper adjust to the rotor when the wheel is moved to adjust chain tension? Or is this even a concern.
It is not a concern. The caliper is positioned "over" the dropout enough that the rotor is just adjusting in line with the pads... at worst case I think one tiny corner of your pad might not contact the rotor if you pulled the wheel WAY WAY WAY back in the dropout. It helps that the amount of adjustment is moderately small as well. The caliper is "perfectly" aligned with the wheel slammed forward.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So then do the 12x142mm dropouts require the use of a Shimano QR axle/skewer like the XTR M988 (SM-AX75)? Are any other axles compatible? Bolt-thru options (vs. QR)?
Our 142 x 12 dropouts are compatible with the Shimano QR (as opposed to dropouts for the Syntace axle). However the frames are supplied with the dropouts and our own alloy bolt on axle. As long as you have a 142mm wheel you don't need to buy anything else, the frame will have everything you need.

Likewise, we have optional 135 x 10 dropouts available seperately if you don't want to mess around with the 142 stuff.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any pics of the 12mm axle? Sorry for pestering, but I'm trying to make some potential decisions on frames/hubs. From the various pics of the 2012 bikes with 12x142 dropouts, it looks like the axle might have bolts threaded into an axle (or at least it appears so on the driveside) vs an axle with nuts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.