Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently running a AVA sleeved shock on a SB will void the warrenty and will bottom out. So my other option is a quasi-lite.Does anyone know if i can run a AVA propedal on a quasi-lite? thanks
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Not neccessarily...

jrm said:
Apparently running a AVA sleeved shock on a SB will void the warrenty and will bottom out. So my other option is a quasi-lite.Does anyone know if i can run a AVA propedal on a quasi-lite? thanks
You can use whatever shock you want including the AVA on the Quasi-Lite. However, as long as you maintain air pressure for about 25% sag and don't run the AVA fully open, you won't have trouble with bottom out on the Switchblade. Here's a pic of the AVA on my Hammerhead. You can see it's set closer to minimum volume and works great. Provides much more useable travel and less spiking than the standard Float.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The titus rep i talked to

Homebrew said:
You can use whatever shock you want including the AVA on the Quasi-Lite. However, as long as you maintain air pressure for about 25% sag and don't run the AVA fully open, you won't have trouble with bottom out on the Switchblade. Here's a pic of the AVA on my Hammerhead. You can see it's set closer to minimum volume and works great. Provides much more useable travel and less spiking than the standard Float.

didnt mention anything abou the setting of the AVA sleeve and its impact on bottoming out the SB. He specifically said that using a AVA will void the warrenty.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
jrm said:
didnt mention anything abou the setting of the AVA sleeve and its impact on bottoming out the SB. He specifically said that using a AVA will void the warrenty.
That's what the AVA setting does, sets the spring rate. See more details here...

http://www.foxracingshox.com/website/TechnologyDesc.asp?Market=MBike&CategoryId=15&Id=3&count=1

If Fox had an fixed air sleeve that was perfectly tuned for each and every bike, that would be great. But unfortunately they don't. That's where the adjustment feature of the AVA comes in. Titus is just playing it safe by not recommending it because the AVA used fully open will blow through travel too quickly and might damage the frame. However properly setup, it won't be a problem. My HH frame is 2.5 years young (past the warranty period) so it's not an issue for me. Tommyrod74 is using the same PUSH-ed AVA on his 5" Switchblade with wanton disregard for warranty and it seems to be working out very well for him. Now whether the risk is worth the reward, that's up to you.

The Quasi front is probably only 1/2 lbs heavier than the SB and bomb proof so it's not that big a deal if you just want the beefier frame. If you found an older Quasi like a 2001, the weight diff would be negligible. The Quasi comes with better travel options with 4.5" and 6". Damn fine frame either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using a AVA propedal

Homebrew said:
That's what the AVA setting does, sets the spring rate. See more details here...

http://www.foxracingshox.com/website/TechnologyDesc.asp?Market=MBike&CategoryId=15&Id=3&count=1

If Fox had an fixed air sleeve that was perfectly tuned for each and every bike, that would be great. But unfortunately they don't. That's where the adjustment feature of the AVA comes in. Titus is just playing it safe by not recommending it because the AVA used fully open will blow through travel too quickly and might damage the frame. However properly setup, it won't be a problem. My HH frame is 2.5 years young (past the warranty period) so it's not an issue for me. Tommyrod74 is using the same PUSH-ed AVA on his 5" Switchblade with wanton disregard for warranty and it seems to be working out very well for him. Now whether the risk is worth the reward, that's up to you.

The Quasi front is probably only 1/2 lbs heavier than the SB and bomb proof so it's not that big a deal if you just want the beefier frame. If you found an older Quasi like a 2001, the weight diff would be negligible. The Quasi comes with better travel options with 4.5" and 6". Damn fine frame either way.
on a tracer now and like it alot. I'm trying to find other frame option i have using this same shock./ So far the quasi-lite, 5 spot and X5 are contenders..
 

·
Registered Dietitian
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
That's me, the reckless one.

Homebrew said:
Tommyrod74 is using the same PUSH-ed AVA on his 5" Switchblade with wanton disregard for warranty and it seems to be working out very well for him. Now whether the risk is worth the reward, that's up to you.
I've been running the AVA at 1 setting less than full volume, with no bottoming issues. I get full stroke on each ride, but I don't notice any bottoming (and I land hard enough to notice if it were occuring, trust me). I only ran it at a little less than full volume to be safe, and it ended up being a good setting. I wouldn't be afraid to try it full volume, but there appears to be no need. My Float is PUSH modified, by the way, and I'm using 10-15 PSI less than my body weight of 165.

I'd venture to say that Titus is a little overcautious in this case. The standard Float minus AVA never got full travel for me, even on big hits. If you look at the SB linkage, it doesn't appear to have the falling rate they claim, either. My conclusion is that they DID design it to work with an air shock, but to never achieve full travel to avoid any chance of bottoming. Do a search, people have run coils with no ill effects (not that I would, I like the light weight of the AVA).

Tommy
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top