Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting some input on Id riders that are currently riding the Ava R propedal fox.
Impressions,settings,volume ,psi, rebound etc. I am tuning mine and having trouble finding that sweet spot.
Any info would be great!

·
Registered
499 Posts
as most people will tell you, just set the air pressure based on sag (most run 25%-30%), then set the rebound in the middle, then go from there, trying +- deviations in the rebound that suit what you like. as for volume, it depends on how much you are bottoming.

I weigh about 170lbs and find that anywhere between about 110 (trail riding, if there are no big drops) to 130 (XC enduro, or trail riding with a few rockgardens) psi works quite well - this is on a small 26-27 Lb id. i ride with between 25-35% sag at these settings. i find that i can run lots of sag (35%) to get the super-plush ride and still get a bob-free platform (except non-controlled standing pedalling). i find the "sweet spot" to be quite a big range of psi, so maybe i'm easier to please than you are. I usually have it at full volume (uses most of the travel, most of the time, even on relatively smooth trails), but it will bottom at 110 if there's any drops 2ft+. not that it bottoms harshly (it is hardly noticed), but i have bent a few shock bolts and i'm now trying a lower volume (i don't want any breakages) when trail riding rougher trails. alternatively, to stop bottoming, i could increase the air pressure, which would decrease the sag, but i prefer to run more sag, which allows the rear end to comform to the terrain better. personal preference here.

i wrote a (rave) review on this shock when i first got it (speedy), and my impressions of it haven't changed. but i haven't compared it to anything other than a non-propedal Vanitlla RC. as noted in my review, you will lose small bump sensitivity if you unweight the rear tire (under brakes), and when going back to the vanilla for a few rides, i noticed the vanilla is a little more plush in this circumstance. at all other times (except big drops), i find that the float outperforms the non-propedal Vanilla.

since i have gotten this shock, i have noticed the talas fork bobbing much more when standing, so i'm looking at upgrading the fork to match the rear shock - either a push fork upgrade or one of those stratos id cartriges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts