Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Just Grin and HUCK it...
854 Posts
I'm not seeing them...

steve3 said:
Are you crazy? You think this is worse?
Sounds interesting enough, but I don't see any Shimano, Rock Shox, Avid, Sram, mavic, Turner, Kenda, WTB, Thompson, FSA, Fox, IRC, or Chris King links...

Hmmmmmmm...
Holy CARP!!! There they are. They still suck.

· Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
SilverSpot said:
...Hmmmmmmm...
Holy CARP!!! There they are. They still suck.
Feh! I hate ads, there are banners all over the page, they load 20x faster than the content...but y'know what? The site's free, fun, and helpful so I won't b!tch. I'll take the linked footnotes over the embedded double underline links any day.

Hmmm...does that make me an "Ad Homer"?:D

· bike moron
131 Posts
A truly heinous development

Now these are just plain awful. At least the other ones could be subliminally rationalized as typos. I mean really, do the powers that be think we're so stupid we can't figure out how to find a website using our own tiny little brains?

PUHLEEZ!!!

Man, this is making me feel militant.....

So, if we extrapolate this, and severley rag on Product X, we get a handy link straight to Product X. How convenient. Did I mention this is making me feel militant??????? Did I??? Did I??? Did I??

· Registered
937 Posts
see what all the whining got?

I much prefer the old style links...much easier to ignore.

you guys (not turner board but general discussion board) complained, MTBR responded pro-actively to remove the implication that we as posters were endorsing any products with this very in-your-face setup.

If this is what (auto linking, the old style) mtbr needs to do as part of their revenue model, its fine by me. double underscore and red text is not even a minor nusiance in my eyes. IMO of course.

-Sp

Blue Shorts said:
If you thought that the old autolinks were bad......just type the name of a manufacturer and now you get a whole friggin banner at the bottom of your post.

If you edit your post and remove the name, the link stays.

Francis......Please stop this [email protected]!!

· Trail rider and racer
4,675 Posts
While I whined like a smacked baby when the original links came out I have grown to get over it (Being such a simple thing and all) and actually happen to think the new form of links is actually OK.....

I suppose if we didn't have them and we got rid of al the links there would be no MTBR and I would be back whining wishing there was this cool place I could surf and talk bikes....

· Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
ritzelflitzer said:
I suffer badly from high response time when surfing on mtbr quite often. I would highly appreciate investing the money for example from the autolink-ads into faster web-server hardware.
regards Bernhard
Hear hear! I get misloads almost 50% of the time...but the ads always come up instantly. That's at home on broadband. At work It's much worse.

But like I said what do you want for nothing...your money back?:p

· Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SinglePivot said:
I much prefer the old style links...much easier to ignore.

you guys (not turner board but general discussion board) complained, MTBR responded pro-actively to remove the implication that we as posters were endorsing any products with this very in-your-face setup.

If this is what (auto linking, the old style) mtbr needs to do as part of their revenue model, its fine by me. double underscore and red text is not even a minor nusiance in my eyes. IMO of course.

-Sp
Don't get me wrong. I still believe that this site is the best around. I just thought that Francis and Gregg (and others) would want to know how changes they make affect the users.

It reminds me of a restaurant that has poor service, but the manager doesn't know. Instead of telling the manager that the service is poor, most people just won't come back. The restaurant goes out of business and the manager never knows why. Even though I doubt that many people will leave due to this one item, it's the long term effect of changes like this that will help determine the success of this site. I truely believe that this site would shrivel up and die if many of the current posters leave.

I'm not going to stomp my feet and threaten to leave. I have already avoided posting replys to requests for help because I would have had to mention one of the brand names that causes the uber-link. I'm sure that I'll continue to lurk here, but I most likely won't post as much. We'll see.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

· Go Bears!
141 Posts
ritzelflitzer said:
I suffer badly from high response time when surfing on mtbr quite often. I would highly appreciate investing the money for example from the autolink-ads into faster web-server hardware.
regards Bernhard
I use Mozilla Firefox with adblock to screen out all the banner ads, but the load times are still generally not great. When I open MTBR in IE, I'm shocked at all the bling that comes up. :eek:

The ads are all served from the advertisers' own servers, so they load quickly. The mtbr content is database driven, so when the db gets loaded down, we get page misloads and slowness. In terms of pure HTML, none of these pages are overly complex.

According to www.netcraft.com, MTBR is running on win2k and IIS, and likely sqlserver. I imagine would take alot of hardware to support a database intensive site like MTBR, but with Microsoft software costs added on, it would be tough stay ahead of the curve on purely ad banner income. My company is on Microsoft as well, so I have a good idea of what's needed to run a site like this. I feel your pain, Francois. :D

· Premium Member
8,935 Posts
People seem to forget that the review.com sites are a business and that the people that run them are trying to earn a living. We as the users, just like on TV and Radio, tune in. Advertisers in hope of getting business pay the medium to display their ads. It is funny that when this occurs in the world of the internet, people complain, but yet I don't hear whining about TV or Radio ads. Frankly, the ads are a minor annoyance and a small price to pay for all the information that is on this site. Besides, every once in a while you find a great deal from the ads.

· Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
Right On

CDMC said:
People seem to forget that the review.com sites are a business and that the people that run them are trying to earn a living. We as the users, just like on TV and Radio, tune in. Advertisers in hope of getting business pay the medium to display their ads. It is funny that when this occurs in the world of the internet, people complain, but yet I don't hear whining about TV or Radio ads. Frankly, the ads are a minor annoyance and a small price to pay for all the information that is on this site. Besides, every once in a while you find a great deal from the ads.
I also say that there is nothing wrong with Jensen staying in business as well. I would love to have a business like mtbr or Jensen. Those who complain are communists. :D

· meh....
3,588 Posts
Dude,
quit your whining. If you don't like it, go somewhere else, or start your own site. If you have a better idea, what is it? What is the new way to make money from an internet message board without advertising? It's gotta pay, or the site is going to go down. The site admins have listened, made changes and still people whine about sh!t that just doesn't matter. So now there is a little box at the bottom of the message, omfg!

Monte
shimano, sram, blah, blah, blah

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.