Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recent question from people visiting SF and wanting to ride so asking for ride suggestions, but not having cars, made me wonder what rides are possible to access using public transport?

Some I know of:
- Waterdog Lake in Belmont would be an easy ride from the Belmont CalTrain station
- Arastradero in Palo Alto would be an Ok ride from Palo Alto or California Street CalTrain stations

I remember doing some Briones to Antioch Death Ride which used BART, but don't remember details. I suppose Diablo could be reached from Walnut Creek BART. And the San Rafael ferry doesn't seem like it would be too far from China Camp - is that doable?

So, if someone was in downtown SF, SJ, or OAK, what other ride opportunities are there that they could access with public transport?

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Diablo and/ or Shell Ridge from Walnut Creek BART
Briones from Lafyette (sp?) BART
Diamond Canyon/ Joquin Miller from Fruitvale BART
Chabot from San Leandro BART
China Camp, Tamarancho, many more North east tam rides from larkspur ferry
Purisma Creek from Daily City BART (quite a haul)
Wilder Ranch and other Santa Cruz rides via Caltrain to Diridon Station and transfer to Amtrack bus to Santa Cruz... (weekend/ overnight trip)

and of course, the now notorious GG2MBC (golden gate bridge to Marin brewing Co. via headlands and Mt Tam)

I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
ferries...

Just this last Sunday I spent the day riding around north of Mt. Tam, e.g., Pine Mountain, Eldridge Grade and others. Finished up near Ross and rode to the Larkspur ferry - less than a half hour ride. Took the ferry to SF(fun), short ride to Caltrain, and then Caltrain back to Sunnyvale.

On Saturday I took Caltrain up to SF, rode over the GG bridge, road over the Marin Headlands to Muir Beach, up 1 to Stinson Beach, then up to and along Bolinas Ridge to Samual Taylor State Park where I camped for $3 at the hiker/biker site.

You can take the ferry to Sausalito, which is short ride to the Marin Headlands.

Had a great weekend with no car involved.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
velocipus said:
Purisma Creek from Daily City BART (quite a haul)
Hmm, I would have done Purisma (and Skeggs/ECdM) from Redwood City CalTrain. Ride west on Jefferson, make a left (north) onto Alameda, right onto Woodside Road to and through the town of Woodside, right onto Kings Mountain Road to top. To get to Purisma, make a right. To get to ECdM/Skeggs, make a left. Took me about 1.5 hours to get there when I was in shape.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
Hmm, I would have done Purisma (and Skeggs/ECdM) from Redwood City CalTrain. Ride west on Jefferson, make a left (north) onto Alameda, right onto Woodside Road to and through the town of Woodside, right onto Kings Mountain Road to top. To get to Purisma, make a right. To get to ECdM/Skeggs, make a left. Took me about 1.5 hours to get there when I was in shape.
Doesn't take as long from Daily City
... and I've never been in shape :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.