Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this last Sunday I was heading back from the hardware store where I had purchased a shiny new snow shovel (worn the other one out), it was snowing, the ground was white, the sky was white, the GMC 2500 that smashed me was white. I pulled in front of him and never saw him. This is the first accident that I have ever been in and it scared the poo out of me. Thankfully I was alone (two year old at home). The officer that worked the scene told me it would have rolled if the ground had been dry. So I'm pretty sure they are going to total it and I am bummed. I loved this van, all wheel drive, you could throw your bike in without breaking it down at all, etc.... So I am faced with having to get a new vehicle and pay a hefty deductible. Because of finances I don't think I can get the same thing. What is a good used bike frendly vehicle? I work at a school so I have to get one that I can load the bike in, no rack (I don't want someone to paint F U on it etc....) I like all or 4 wheel drive, and if I can fit the kid and wife in, OK. I'm willing to paint TURNER accross it for blatant product placement if it scores me a deal.

So besides a few brusies and feeling like an idiot I am not hurt. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm including a carnage pic for your enjoyment.

Anyone got a rig for sale?

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roy said:
Why not get a used van of the same type?
I'm going to try, but I'm afraid the one I can afford will have a lot of miles on it. In your opinion what is too many miles? I usually try to buy my vehicles around 30k, but I guess if I crash them it doesn't matter. I thought it might be smarter to get a less expensive vehicle with lower miles. No?

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
glad you're ok. :thumbsup::) that's a significant impact from a huge truck! :eek: be grateful you weren't in a honda civic or something equally puny. :eekster: as to what you should get...the van you had was actually a good one. stay away from chrysler. your wish-van #1...don't do it...too high of a center of gravity...it'll roll like a...well...you know...:p

if you're short on money, another van is going to be cheaper than an SUV...but in the SUV department i highly recommend the larger toyota SUVs or GM...stay away from honda (unless you go civic or accord). and don't do ford...just say no...:nono:

since you're looking for a used car...mileage is important...but so is the maintenance history...regular oil changes? regular tune-ups? a lot can go wrong with a car that was not properly maintained. your best bet is to make friends with a mechanic, and have them look any car you are considering over before you buy it...but you have to find a mechanic you trust...and that a'int easy! :D

oh yeah...and stay away from the first year of a new body style...no matter what you go with! always probs! :rolleyes:

my dad's in the car business...can you tell? :blush::)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dHarriet said:
glad you're ok. :thumbsup::) that's a significant impact from a huge truck! :eek: be grateful you weren't in a honda civic or something equally puny. :eekster: as to what you should get...the van you had was actually a good one. stay away from chrysler. your wish-van #1...don't do it...too high of a center of gravity...it'll roll like a...well...you know...:p

if you're short on money, another van is going to be cheaper than an SUV...but in the SUV department i highly recommend the larger toyota SUVs or GM...stay away from honda (unless you go civic or accord). and don't do ford...just say no...:nono:

since you're looking for a used car...mileage is important...but so is the maintenance history...regular oil changes? regular tune-ups? a lot can go wrong with a car that was not properly maintained. your best bet is to make friends with a mechanic, and have them look any car you are considering over before you buy it...but you have to find a mechanic you trust...and that a'int easy! :D

oh yeah...and stay away from the first year of a new body style...no matter what you go with! always probs! :rolleyes:

my dad's in the car business...can you tell? :blush::)
Holy reply......you do know your stuff! Didn't I see you in a Soob in the one DH picture?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
a question - If its just just you the mrs and a 2 year old nipper why do you need such a firkin great big van in the first place? why not a subaru forester/outback ? or a used passat with 4 wheel drive or an audi wagon or a volvo cross country - i have an old audi A6 sedan and you can put the back seats down and fit a bike in the back no problem....maybe it's the european in me but why not drive a smaller car and save on gas and be able to actually fit in a paralell parking space...no offence to people that drive suburbans and tahoes etc. but unless you have 4 kids plus or are towing boats i don't get it..........

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wilks said:
a question - If its just just you the mrs and a 2 year old nipper why do you need such a firkin great big van in the first place? why not a subaru forester/outback ? or a used passat with 4 wheel drive or an audi wagon or a volvo cross country - i have an old audi A6 sedan and you can put the back seats down and fit a bike in the back no problem....maybe it's the european in me but why not drive a smaller car and save on gas and be able to actually fit in a paralell parking space...no offence to people that drive suburbans and tahoes etc. but unless you have 4 kids plus or are towing boats i don't get it..........
I live 7 miles north of Boulder, so believe me, I understand where you are coming from. the Safari/Astro is actually built on the 1500 truck frame, so I used mine like a truck quite a bit. Hauling firewood, landscaping, etc.... Makes the inside kind of nasty but worked well. I actually thought a four door mid size truck might be good. I am actually looking at the Soob's, but they must think pretty highly of them around here, they are expensive!

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
Holy reply......you do know your stuff! Didn't I see you in a Soob in the one DH picture?
nope...GMC jimmy 4.3L engine, 2D, 4x4...named FRED! :D:D

but don't knock soobs...they're good cars...but you need to find someone good to work on it for you...because their electrical system is CRAZY hard and it hooks into EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: but if you've got someone who knows what they're doing fixing it, a soob will run forever! :D

plus if you get a station wagon soob, it's low gas mileage and you can fit all your sh!t in it, and it's 4X4! :D:thumbsup::)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dHarriet said:
nope...GMC jimmy 4.3L engine, 2D, 4x4...named FRED! :D:D

but don't knock soobs...they're good cars...but you need to find someone good to work on it for you...because their electrical system is CRAZY hard and it hooks into EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: but if you've got someone who knows what they're doing fixing it, a soob will run forever! :D
Yeah, that 4.3 rocks. I had that in the van, pretty bullitproof. I like soobs, they just cost a lot. I'm afraid if I get one I will have to buy a golden retriever and some birkenstocks (sp). Wear them with wool socks.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
S-Works said:
Be careful with that admission, DH, that just may put your character in question:D
i thought my character was already in question??? :confused::p

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
I'm afraid if I get one I will have to buy a golden retriever and some birkenstocks (sp). Wear them with wool socks.
and don't forget the shaggy hair and the fleece vest! ;)
HAWT!!! :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.