Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone

We are planning a family holiday to Colorado in early September 2017 and was hoping to get some advice.

Trip plan will involve some riding perhaps 2-4 of the 14 days so I am firstly hoping to get some advice where I should ride during the trip but also the logic of the trip I've proposed below. The route plan so far is;

Denver
Boulder
Rocky Mountains National Park
Vail
Aspen
Telluride
Crested Butte
Salida
Colorado City
Denver

I plan on hiring a 22-24 foot RV in Denver (happy to take advice from where) and do the trip in 14 or so days.

Any advice would be great on places to visit both bike and non bike. I plan on taking my own bike and like All Mountain style trails but happy to ride burly stuff as well. I ride Yeti 4.5c if that helps.
Kids will be 5 and 3.5 by the time we take the trip. My wife is a Rocky Mountains tragic including an unhealty obession with John Denver.

Merry Cristmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers

JP

·
Registered
371 Posts
Every town you are visiting has biking nearby. It depends on how long you will be in each location I imagine as to where you can bike. Salida and CB have a ton of trails right from town and are the two stand out towns on your list in my opinion (I have never biked ToHellYouRide). Vail has the resort with chair access or a grunt of a fire road climb up to the top. No biking in RMNP if you weren't aware of that. Use the MTBProject website to make your choices if no one gives up better info which in this forum is a possibility.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
If those are your locations and you're only riding 2-4 days of your trip, I'd do one day in:

Vail (Two Elk to Meadow Mountain)
Aspen (Skyline trails to Government Trail)
Crested Butte (pick one, they're all awesome)
Salida (Monarch Crest or some off-shoot of it)

If you want actual advice, I wouldn't bother spending much time in Denver, Boulder, or RMNP. Get far away from the main cities and spend your time around Telluride, Aspen, Crested Butte, and Salida. I'd check out the Grand Mesa and Steamboat too, especially in September.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd meet you to ride the Two Elk (Vail Pass->Minturn) ride. Would involve your wife driving us up to Vail Pass from Vail, then she can meet us in Minturn 3 hours later.

Telluride is pretty far from Aspen. I'd agree with above, and possibly skip RMNP. I'd skip Denver/Boulder/RMNP. You may consider a revision as follows (if you don't plan on coming back):
Denver->Vail ->Grand Junction/Fruita -> Moab-> Telluride ->Crested Butte-> Salida

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd narrow your trip down a bit. Everywhere you have listed is worth visiting, but to do that you will only have a day or 2 in each place and will be doing a lot of driving.

If you do RMNP it's worth going over Trail Ridge road out to Grandby then south to Winter Park. Telluride is pretty far away from anything. I'd build in extra time for Crested Butte to ride there.

But I'd plan on half of those spots, and cut down on the amount of driving.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I met some guys who were visiting some neighbors. They were working on their bikes at 9am (instead of already at the trails riding) and they told me of their plans for that hot summer's day. As they outlined each trail they planned to ride (each trailhead many many miles apart) I tried to think of a nice way of telling them their plans for the day were Fantasy Land.

I finally just said "guys, pick one of those trails, that will be plenty". So I echo what others have said today, narrow your plans down to maybe CB and Telluride, forget RMNP, forget Boulder. You'll thank us later.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,505 Posts
Three or four destinations, total. Don't spend 4-6hrs a day driving, every other day.

Some of the riding destinations you are interested in would take weeks to see.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts