Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Your best bet is Rocky Hill Ranch. I was out there thanksgiving and the lower trails were pretty beat up from two races in muddy conditions, however once you get beyond fat chucks the trail system handles rain pretty well.

I have ridden there with in hours of a major rain and while it was slick, there is enough gravel in the dirt to keep things decent.

Getting up to fat chucks after rain is always bad. Lots and lots of clay/mud the 1st mile. Assuming it stops today, Sunday would be a good bet at RHR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about McAllister in San Antonio?

Anyone ride it this week? Weather Underground says it's been relatively dry - 1/3rd inch yesterday and light sprinkles on a couple other days. With all the canopy it can't be that bad. I'm heading down tomorrow in the am and hope it's semi dry at least on the upper trails.

·
Registered
712 Posts
stinkymutt said:
Anyone ride it this week? Weather Underground says it's been relatively dry - 1/3rd inch yesterday and light sprinkles on a couple other days. With all the canopy it can't be that bad. I'm heading down tomorrow in the am and hope it's semi dry at least on the upper trails.
We did get a good bit of rain Wednesday night/Thursday morning, and the light sprinkles throughout the day, the canopy might have helped, but it also hinders drying, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Even GCSNA isn't recommended to be ridden at the moment.

·
Fat Biker
426 Posts
It's a pretty good drive from Austin but Double Lake Recreation Area in Coldspring is a great place to ride after a rain. The trail soaks up the water like you wouldn't believe and there is very, very little mud. Even after a hard soak Double Lake is always good for a ride the next day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rode McAllister this morning around 9. Most of the trails were deep peanut butter but there were some dry spots uphill past the soccer fields. Didn't want to make ruts so I wound up mixing in a lot of paved trails. I need to burn off my wife's holiday baking so let's all pray for a few more dry days.

Happy Holidays, y'all!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They got hit with quite a bit of rain last week, specifically around Thursday and Friday. Two days doesn't seem long enough to dry out but I could be wrong. I'd call them (512-718-8822) before making the drive out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.