Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Scott is a tool.
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,

Just returned from a weekend a way in Bright and got a chance to ride a small sample of the riding up there, and let me say it was pretty special!!

So it got me thinking, we really need to organise a fully fledged Aussie MTBR gathering. I know it's happened in the past, and there's no reason why it can't happen again.

Who'd be up for that? Suggestions of a venue?

Wal.

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Somewhere picturesque to make the most of the photographical opportunity of having so many riders together.

Buller - later in the year once the snow melts (assuming some actually falls). So far the most fun I've had mountain biking was chairlifting there for a day. Plus as of Summer 08/09 there are supposed to be a few new XC trails opened up.

Bright/Mt Beauty (Big Hill) - Once again, later in the year. Downside is no chairlift fun. Upside is more developed XC network.

Lazy option (for us Melbourners) is You Yangs - I don't easily tire of that place.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
You could always leave the West Island and come and meet in Rotorua in the North Island for a great MTBR gathering.......

I would travel back to the North Island from Spain for this event....

·
Scott is a tool.
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bright/Mt Beauty sounds like a winner too me, from what i know there would be enough trails to keep us happy for a full weekend.

NZ would be a dream!!!! But it aint gonna happen, not on this grand of a scale anyway.

Wal.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've ridden bright once, just about 20km on the trails around town but it was really nice. It was autumn too to lots of colour and not too much mud. Forrest? Mount Beauty would be good to, some really fun trails there.

·
Registered
970 Posts
just a heads up, between boxing day and new years day every year there's usually about 30 of the melbourne racing community riding in and around beauty/bright. could be good to integrate it with that...am i allowed to say bring the roadie as well though? we usually alternate the days between road and mtb.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bright/ Beauty or Forrest would be my options
I've done a little around Bright and Beauty but am keen for an excuse to check out the Forrest trails
NZ ain't gonna happen on my budget - for $ or time
:) ;)

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Getting a bunch of MTBR members together is a bit like herding cats, I speak from experience trying to organise St Andrews rides...
However, this sounds good. Forrest could be the go or You Yangs. Realistically a day trip will be more doable than an overnighter.
Maybe we could do a trial run this sat. at you-know-where. :D

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
waldog said:
I'm liking the sound of Forrest.
Has anyone checked out the pub there? I'm just thinking of somewhere to hang out afterwards, or maybe for lunch between doing Yaugher and Forrest Trailheads. May as well make the most of a gathering and eat somewhere nice rather than a mass muching of power bars, banana sandwiches and gels.

I've only camped up near Lake Eliz, or driven in for a ride from AB - never actually checked out the town other than the general store (where I've never paid the same amount for a gatorade twice ... she just looks at me and pulls a figure from somewhere).

·
Scott is a tool.
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hud said:
Getting a bunch of MTBR members together is a bit like herding cats, I speak from experience trying to organise St Andrews rides...
However, this sounds good. Forrest could be the go or You Yangs. Realistically a day trip will be more doable than an overnighter.
Maybe we could do a trial run this sat. at you-know-where. :D
A trial run you say? Mmmmmm, my legs hurt just thinking about it, many weeks off the bike. I could well still be in...... very in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd love to have a go at the 24hr but it clashes with the BMXV states so my son's would not speak to me for a year..................Hmmmmmmm...... sounds good!

Saturdays are generally not good for me with out several weeks notice
Sundays are usually more do- able and the Youies are always good to me:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.