Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Pimp-tastic.

Though with red and black it's obvious that you're going to have to switch to a Roco and a 888 up front to get the color coordination right.

Fix that seat!! ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fight the power...

HBT, I thought you'd appreciate the seat position. :D

Dante, Don't knock the Minion R up front until you've tried it ;) (although maybe you have and that's why you offer the comment)...I've run the 2.35 single ply Minion R up front on another bike and it was great. I'm currently running a singleply 2.5 Minion F on another bike and love it too.

I was running the 2.7 high roller UST up front on the 7point and it was nice to have the extra wide tire up front. However, I decided to run the 2.5 Minion R UST this time around to lighten the load without sacrificing too much control.

This might already be out there, but this manifestation of the 7point weighs in at 39 lbs even. Now all I have to do is learn to climb with a single chainring (36) and go buy a dog collar for the 40.

Auk

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, they are still running.

I've missed the last two with my daughter out visiting.

Plus some of the rides, I'm just not aloud to post about. ;) :nono:

Nagaredama said:
Winston-

Is The Path still doing Sunday morning rides? I haven't seen you post about them in awhile.

·
Registered
86 Posts
2005 vs. 2006 7point7 Diet Plan

Here's a comparison of the changes:

1) 2005 frame w/5th vs. 2006 w/dhx coil (did not weigh this separately).
2) 823s w/DT Swiss FR hubs vs. I9s (I9's weighed 1210gms/1050gms for rear/front w/ velox rim strips). I did not weigh the stock wheels, but suspect they weighed about 2,500 grams.
3) E13 drs w/front derailleur & granny gear vs. Raceface chainguide w/ one chainring
4) 2.7/2.5 UST HighRoller tires vs. 2.5/2.35 UST Minion R / HighRoller tires w/ Stans conversion (I estimate about 1 lb weight savings).

Winston is right, the weight dropped from about 42.5 to 39 lbs.

Auk

·
Registered
655 Posts
That seat is the bane of my existance! ;)

I ran a 2.7 MinionR as a front tire a few races ago and it was surprisingly good. "Why?" you ask? Well, I ordered a MinionF from the local shop who in their infinite wisdom didn't realize there was a front and rear specific tire and ordered me a rear instead. Dummies. I've since switched to a MinionF 2.7.

I'm slowly but surely being won over by smaller tires and think I'll switch to 2.5's front and rear in the future. They just seem to roll considerably better for downhill, especially if the trail isn't super rocky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You learn something new everyday...

I honestly didn't know that. But the Maxxis website confirms what Winston is saying.

Thanks for the correction. BTW, I just spent a good amount of time getting the Minion R UST to seat up properly with a stans conversion kit on the 6.1d rim (The Path finally recommended Beadwax to help...it did). It's a pretty darn tight fit. I'm thinking it'll be a good combination.

Also interesting is that the 2.5 Minion R has a much more pronounce UST bead than the 2.35 UST high roller. I'm speculating that it has to do with the application of each tire. I'm also thinking the 2.5 tires are designed to take much greater lateral forces without peeling of rims. Just some random thoughts.

Auk

·
Registered
356 Posts
aukmal said:
BTW, I just spent a good amount of time getting the Minion R UST to seat up properly with a stans conversion kit on the 6.1d rim (The Path finally recommended Beadwax to help...it did). It's a pretty darn tight fit. I'm thinking it'll be a good combination.
Auk
Auk,
nice set of wheels. I am digg'n my I9s on 6.1d. which stans conversion kit are you using on the rim? the DH or FR version? i want to convert mine but don't know which stans kit to get. also are the maxxis kits compatible[wide enuf?] why didn't you go that route?
thanks,
-Rodel

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Will be interested to hear your opinions on the 6.1's. Mine aren't completely dead yet, but they sure are close, and only 2.5 months (14 days of dhing at fairly high tire pressure) later. I found them a to be a lot softer than the Azonic Outlaws I ran last year, which I thought dinged easily.
One thing I will say for them: they dings are just as easy bent back out. Not that they're ever completely fixed, but they are still rolling, just ain't pretty to look at.
Now on to some WTB laserdisc dh rims laced to Hope hubs. Wish me luck!

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
aukmal said:
Dante, Don't knock the Minion R up front until you've tried it ;) (although maybe you have and that's why you offer the comment)...I've run the 2.35 single ply Minion R up front on another bike and it was great. I'm currently running a singleply 2.5 Minion F on another bike and love it too.
Mmmmmmmm, MinionF front, Highroller rear... Or MinionF front and rear... Yummy. Never liked the MinionR, didn't seem to have enough side-bite for me. Currently running 2.5/2.5, but since this is solely for DH I'm running big bad DH tubes which add to the weight a bit. :thumbsup:

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
dante said:
Mmmmmmmm, MinionF front, Highroller rear... Or MinionF front and rear... Yummy. Never liked the MinionR, didn't seem to have enough side-bite for me. Currently running 2.5/2.5, but since this is solely for DH I'm running big bad DH tubes which add to the weight a bit. :thumbsup:
you and I would get along real well if we had to go tire shopping together :thumbsup:

that unless there is only one DHF left ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.