Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one month (or 4 weekends) to ride some trails in Colorado while on a clinical in Denver in August. I am interested in some epic supra-alpine rides with plenty of downhills. For all you locals out there-- where is the best place to ride in August if my time is limited to this one month? I understand that it gets fairly dry in the late summer (I am used to riding in Oregon where it rains 24/7). I will be there by myself, so if anyone wants a riding partner for some ultra-endurance rides in August, let me know. Thanks for your time.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
How about: Ride from Boulder(ish) over Rollins Pass to Winter Park, credit card a night in a hotel and a pizza, then ride back to Boulder the next day.

Above treeline? Check.
Over the divide? Check.
Big? Check.

Less singletrack than the other options, but something I've always wanted to do. One day...

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,878 Posts
laythen said:
I understand that it gets fairly dry in the late summer (I am used to riding in Oregon where it rains 24/7).
Be prepared for afternoon thunder storms. In CO, especially in the alpine world, this means lightening (lots of it), potentially heavy rain, and maybe even a little hail to keep things interesting. Temps can drop off very quickly. Best to start early

If you make it to Crested Butte you can loop a lot of the trails from town. One suggestion is Snodgrass, up the gulch to 403, 403 down to the road, up the road to 401, down 401 to Gothic then back to town. Plenty of climbining and descending.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.