Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Haha well I will blow it up first! 5:30 alarm, 6AM meet up. It was a cool 57 degrees and had an almost fall feel. Have we turned the corner on summer?

11.5 miles of gloriously peaceful singletrack only ruined by our hooting-n-hollering. It was spectacular. A lot of our recent trail work is paying off in spades and the trail is running pretty smooth (for it, lol). I recorded most of the run and here are few snaps. Only sucky thing was my buddy took a stick in the derailer and it blew out his cable, so we weren't quite able to do the full loop:

Soil Rock Geology Bicycle accessory Bedrock

The new entrance to Lets Get Rowdy. Adds a few spicy tech moves into a steep gully slaloming around boulders.

Soil Landscape Sand Bicycle tire Terrain

With speed the world always seems to rotate on its axis just a lil' bit :)

Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Ecoregion Hill

What we call the Chunky Downhill is split right in the middle by a fun ring around the boulder turn.

Landscape Bicycle Plain Bicycle handlebar Horizon

The trail is purposefully routed to take full advantage of the plethora of rollable / dropable rocks.

Soil Plain Hill Bicycle Terrain

Oh and jumpable as well!

Grassland Horizon Soil Plain Sunlight

There are quite a few "whats around the corner.." moments on the trail.

Bicycle frame Mountain bike Bicycle Recreation Bicycle wheel

Some of the trees are already dropping leaves. Is it fall already?

Slope Hill Soil Terrain Adventure

Chasing on the Salamander. This thing is big banked turns one after another ending with a punchy little twisty climb.

Plant community Soil Hill Terrain Dirt road

Look at the turn in the upper right corner. Oh so good :)

Branch Sunlight People in nature Forest Trunk

I like the chasing silhouette on this pic!

Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle part Hill

Life is about choices. My buddy took the high road (easier but flowy), I took the low road aka the dirty scrambly chute. The obvious rock roll to big drop is on the menu for fixing up. The spine trail leading to it is super unstable and its a death drop into a gully (about 15 foot drop) filled with rocks. I might need to dig it down. Lay some pavers, then fill them in to get a nice solid and smooth run to that drop. It's big, way bigger than it looks in this pic.

Yeah, we are old, and I am sure some people will call this trail XC, but if you take the harder lines, the bigger parts of the drops, it has teeth removal opportunities abound. We had fun :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Did a big XC loop from my house, up montebello, then hit white oak, skyline ridge to the tree farm, chestnut, long ridge, gap, skyline trail, John Nicholas, then back home on pavement. Was expecting lots of dust, but wasn't too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Big time ride! What was the climb elevation on that one?

I'd be up for a shuttle party if anyone is interested? Bella Vista, White Oak, Canyon, JNT a few times in the DHish direction.
Garmin says 5564 ft elevation gain. I think that my biggest ride on a mountain bike.

I'd be down for a shuttling in the area. There's probably a funner trail that wasn't mentioned. . . though probably best to not ride it with a sizable group.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garmin says 5564 ft elevation gain. I think that my biggest ride on a mountain bike.

I'd be down for a shuttling in the area. There's probably a funner trail that wasn't mentioned. . . though probably best to not ride it with a sizable group.

Yep. There's a really funner trail we could shuttle at night. We shall coordinate.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here we go.....the MTBR NorCal Shuttle Gang, the scourge of MidPen. I could probably convince my wife to drive us a couple times if I buy her dinner at ByWater. My rig can hold 4 bikes and 8 people. I have a friend with a trailer that could hold 6-8 bikes. Plans are being drawn! More to come.

FC, RiderUp down for some this madness? Buehler? Anybody else?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Sometimes I complain about my life, and if I am honest with myself, it's frickin ridiculous. I somehow, with the encouragement of an amazing wife, turned early life trauma and tragedy into passion and hellfire. As I get older there are quite a few ,"I have nothing to complain about moments." This is one of them.

I rode early yesterday, worked a few hours, loaded up the truck, and drove a hundred to a VRBO waterfront on a lake for the entire long weekend:

Property Architecture Landscape Real estate Roof

I bring my son and my bikes, our friends son brings his, this morning we load up, and hit the trail by 8AM ish. Lake Mendocino is on order. The trail is exactly what I expected for a shoreline trail. Switchback ups and downs with short punchy climbs. Yup. I give it a 5/10. Worth doing but several fallen trees blocking lots of PO and bushes bigger than their britches.

Blue Text Line Font Colorfulness

Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle Mountain bike

Nature Bicycle wheel Plant community Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

Swam during the ride, paddle boarded to a natural hot springs:

Body of water Nature Coastal and oceanic landforms Water resources Water

Coastal and oceanic landforms Watercraft Water Boat Rock

My current view:

Human Human leg Shoe Summer Iron

My life is pretty good, and for that I am thankful! Gotta get up, the tortillas is on the BBQ :)

·
More pie please
2,009 Posts
A Labor Day weekend tradition with me since 2006, Skeggs to Half Moon Bay...and back.

I started the day parked next to former mtbr moderator, Derek/"bustamove". Great to catch up. Here's a picture of his shadow:

I always imagine this section of Mananita Trail as a dried-up waterfall. I also imagine being able to ride up it one day. Such day dreams!

Virginia Mill Trail - what is that weird round thing?

The Virginia Mill bridge:

PSA "Purisima Creek Trail will be CLOSED for bridge construction between Grabtown Gulch Trail and Craig Britton Trail from September 3 through November 2019. Please plan your trip accordingly.":

A direct link of the map from the MidPen website:

Another Labor Day weekend tradition, the Kings Mountain Art Festival:

The Whittemore Gulch Trail:

Poplar Beach:

Pelicans in the air:

I never break chains but this is the second one this week! Today it was the master link which broke so it was an easy fix:

That happened about 200 yards from the top of the Grabtown Gulch climb. Ha, that is always a thrilling moment when the chain lets go! After the fix, everything was fine for the rest of the ride.

///Charlie

·
Mtbr Founder
35,469 Posts
A Labor Day weekend tradition with me since 2006, Skeggs to Half Moon Bay...and back.

I started the day parked next to former mtbr moderator, Derek/"bustamove". Great to catch up. Here's a picture of his shadow:

I always imagine this section of Mananita Trail as a dried-up waterfall. I also imagine being able to ride up it one day. Such day dreams!

Virginia Mill Trail - what is that weird round thing?

The Virginia Mill bridge:

PSA "Purisima Creek Trail will be CLOSED for bridge construction between Grabtown Gulch Trail and Craig Britton Trail from September 3 through November 2019. Please plan your trip accordingly.":

A direct link of the map from the MidPen website:

Another Labor Day weekend tradition, the Kings Mountain Art Festival:

The Whittemore Gulch Trail:

Poplar Beach:

Pelicans in the air:

I never break chains but this is the second one this week! Today it was the master link which broke so it was an easy fix:

That happened about 200 yards from the top of the Grabtown Gulch climb. Ha, that is always a thrilling moment when the chain lets go! After the fix, everything was fine for the rest of the ride.

///Charlie
Nice one. Stats?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.