Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
1.5 miles this morning, woot! Nah, actually it was sucky suck and the funky bunch. Going up one the tech climbing challenge sections and heard a massive *CRACK*, like I busted off a tooth or two of the cassette, nah, rear hub exploded. This is the second NovaTec rear hub I exploded. I replaced the last one (on my fat tire set) with a DT Swiss Big Ride and haven't had any issues. Will definitely go DT Swiss for the new 29" x 3.0" wheel set.

In other news, the early morning dirt gnomes did some magic...

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Mountainous landforms

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
What it looks like from across the valley:
Vegetation Nature Natural environment Natural landscape Landscape

And no fc I did not edit hack job that, that's the early rising sun making the colors all poppy and **** ;)

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I don't now how any of you are able to ride in this heat. I'm on the coast where it barely breaks 80 and its been miserable.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I just finished a test ride of the new section, did three loops of the jump circuit in 94*F. Only ~4 miles, but on the last climb back up, I was feeling it! This is what the new berms / turns look like which now in essence are the entry into the jump line. I still want to tweak the entry to the first berm a smidge, and clean up the exit, but overall it rides pretty dang good!

Nature Grass Brown Natural environment Landscape

According to my new Garmin my longest hang time was just over a second and 12' distance at 15 mph with a total jump distance of over 100 feet throughout the ride. No more riding for me today, it's getting toasty out there!

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just finished a test ride of the new section, did three loops of the jump circuit in 94*F. Only ~4 miles, but on the last climb back up, I was feeling it! This is what the new berms / turns look like which now in essence are the entry into the jump line. I still want to tweak the entry to the first berm a smidge, and clean up the exit, but overall it rides pretty dang good!

View attachment 1272231

According to my new Garmin my longest hang time was just over a second and 12' distance at 15 mph with a total jump distance of over 100 feet throughout the ride. No more riding for me today, it's getting toasty out there!
OK, now I have to get the new Garmin. Strava KOM for hang time!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
OK, now I have to get the new Garmin. Strava KOM for hang time!
The new Garmin filmed that for me as well! ;) I decided to order the wheel sensor to increase distance accuracy. It is definitely reporting shorter than my Ionic. I switch bikes / wheelsets a lot though so we will see how that works. I guess it will auto-calibrate your wheel size using the GPS as you ride, so if that's true, that pretty cool and will help. The touchscreen is super responsive, impressively so. I should get some sweat and humidity on it next week in North Carolina. I will have a piece of cardboard in my pack "just in case"...

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First ride back on clipless tonight. After a few years on flats, they felt a bit weird at first, but now just like old times. The power transfer in a pair of stiff XC shoes is noticeably more than flats and 5.10's

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Where is this? looks super fun.
It's local NorCal, public, and probably a lot closer than you would guess. I've been building it solo for the last three years and just this season finally have someone else serious about helping and shares a similar vision on what we want the trail to be. Another interesting aspect is "building" is a loose term. Technically the entire area is just linked together cow trails and as a result the riding is rough. Think of it as chunky flow but it's not rocks, it's janky dirt. I know that really turns some people off, but it will be forever what it is with this trail system.

I'm hesitant to full release because we are actively building and tweaking. No joke that section above was built in the last two days and for a day I wouldve called it a public hazard until we got back out the next day and cleaned it back up. That's a nice luxury to have because the only people riding it are in a pretty small circle and I can spread the news easy.

I don't plan on keeping it secret by any stretch, but I'd love to get the full loop tweaked and solid before it gets a lot of traffic. The other crapper thing about it is it gets annually messed up (BIG TIME) by cows so it takes a few months to clean it back up every year. This year we've also been dealing with massive star thistle explosion and Re growth after taking it out due to the extensive late season rain and retained ground water. Not sure if the info will get out this season or might wait till next.

Now the reality is the info is getting out as I am increasingly running into new riders and seeing new tracks. Once it gets critical mass, I'll put it here first as my intent was never to keep it secret, just manage expectations and let people experience it for the first time in decent conditions.

Sorry again, long post!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.