Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Got home from work late. Legs a bit tired from yesterday so decided to do some quick digging. One stretch has been slowly deteriorating due to a steep hillside and minimal bench. Headphones in, metal on, volume low enough to hear everything, start up the benching machine aka my arms.

In a rhythm, heavy swing to cut back the bank, another heavy then a few sculpting, rinse repeat. It isn't a long stretch and I was almost done when I hear "Hey what the **** are you doing!" I turn around taking my earphones out ready to go through the spiel that happens every other week ... it's my riding buddy. BUSTED! (Him not me)

He swears he didn't think I was home lol! Oh well, I would've rode over digging but he complimented me on the stretch. I caught a low light level shot of him on a lower switch back on his way out. Tomorrow I ride :)

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Mountainous landforms

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Quick hour loop in around Sutro in SF yesterday afternoon. Work ended early, and the weather was so insane I had to get out.

Backside of the antenna is MUDDY. few inch deep mud. Small backhoe was parked in the middle of a new clearing. Wonder if there is trail rerouting going on? Sutro was the usual, extra slow with so many hikers out.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Quick hour loop in around Sutro in SF yesterday afternoon. Work ended early, and the weather was so insane I had to get out.

Backside of the antenna is MUDDY. few inch deep mud. Small backhoe was parked in the middle of a new clearing. Wonder if there is trail rerouting going on? Sutro was the usual, extra slow with so many hikers out.
Yeah I did a big SF ride on Monday, saw the same crew in the same spot, and I could not believe how muddy it was especially considering how warm it has been in SF lately and how dry it was everywhere else - it is often a bit muddy in that area from the fog & tree pee, but that was about the worst I've seen it and I've been riding that trail as long as it has existed

I also cruised through GG Park out to the beach - the park had been pretty trashed from Outside Lands

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Got a late "start" due to meetings at 2AM (yes, no joke), then 6AM. It was brutal. Slept in till 10AM so no riding, its too hot. Of course I did go dig on the trail for a little bit but now back to work. Riding early AM tomorrow!

·
Registered
298 Posts

You're referring to the trail on the other side of Clarendon up to the reservoir / Twin Peaks, not any of the trails on Sutro proper? If so, the backhoe isn't for a trail reroute or anything of the like. The folks who work on the tower are placing another anchor point for it in the woods. It shouldn't affect the trail; they're aware of it and working around it. That trail is a grey area BTW - private land owned by three different groups IIRC.
Trail is maintained by gnomes. Drainage has been pretty screwed there for years since two trees fell on the hairpin (I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about). That area has been cleaned up and the trees removed, but there's a lot of work to be done still as far as drainage. Traffic in muddy conditions like these doesn't help - not scolding anyone, but I'd say that trail is to be avoided until things are dryer, sometime in Sept. Of course, that's moot, because people will hike and ride it in the mud anyway :)

August is the wet riding season in SF. With the exception of the trail I just mentioned, you can ride anything - the trails can handle it, though your drivetrain and linkage might groan a bit.

Any pictures of the area mentioned behind the tower would be appreciated - I've been in Europe all month and am out of touch, would be nice to see what's going on. I'll be back on Monday and will have a free day to check it out assuming I'm not too jet lagged.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
ATT Park, now Oracle Park is always a good time. Even when the Giants are losing. Waiting to bring my little ones. Sheboygans, garlic fries, beer... next best thing to being on trails.
Pricey and their product (aka team) is under development right now.

Sooo good to see the A's there

Stadium is still stunning.

Free bike check-in is gold!!! Run by SF Bike Coalition

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Finally got out to ride this morning early enough to avoid the heat.

The pink glow:
Vegetation Nature Blue Natural environment Atmosphere

My buddy needed to be back early but he wanted to do the full loop. It was a minimal rest and kind of blow on through the trail kind of day:
Vegetation Grass Natural environment Natural landscape Plant community

Still managed to get a few decent shots. Riding directly into the burning ball of fire!
Natural environment Sun Atmosphere Natural landscape Plain

Milking the last bit of shade on the backside switchbacks. This part has 4 steep back to back switchbacks then drops you into a half pipe gully. I look for those areas to route my trail through whenever possible!
Nature Natural environment Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Rode the new reroute on the final little bit and realize there is much work to be done. Its pretty much a 3 foot drop into a hole / sharp right hand turn at current trail speed. I need to really clean up the entry and dig it down on a slope about 2-3 feet to make a nice "rail-able" turn.

11.2M / 1.9K, managed to snag my 3rd fastest time on one of the longer descents. Good times!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.