Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After four consecutive rides at New Melones I was getting bored, and I also needed to try something more challenging. Cohenfive and Tahoetic joined me on the Foresthill Divide Loop (FDL) at Auburn today. It was already pretty warm at the start and it warmed up quite a bit by the end of the ride. I found the mostly uphill start pretty challenging, but I did better than I thought I would on my fifth comeback ride. Although I was working about as hard as I could, the guys were always way ahead. But they stopped occasionally and waited for me.

By the time we hit the intersection of the Connector Trail my heart and lungs had settled down. But after two years of no activity my legs were having a difficult time on the climbs. Those first 10 miles seemed like the hardest ride I had ever done. Hard to believe that was only 1/3 of a ride we used to do. After a bit of rest I decided to join the guys for a little out and back on the Connector Trail. I got carried away on the mostly downhill, fast, and swoopy singletrack for about two miles. But after seeing a big climb ahead, and realizing I had to go back up what I had just come down, I turned around and headed back to the FDL trailhead. The guys continued on and did the full Connector.

Except for the heat it was a beautiful day, and the trails were still quite green and full of wildflowers. Since I was struggling to keep up I didn't get many photos. Below are a few. Tahoetic is wearing a black shirt and Cohenfive is wearing blue/red. And thanks to both of you for your patience and a great ride!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
nice ride today!!

i really miss auburn, it is my favorite place shy of tahoe to ride. weather and the trails were absolutely perfect today. mark and i did 18.3 miles in total and i felt pretty strong the entire time. steve did well and continues on the path to getting himself back into shape, so well done! mark it was good seeing you and riding with you again, and we should 'hook up' in tahoe once the snow clears. i have a few pix, nothing great as i wasn't too happy with the way most of my shots came out today...but you get a sense..

1. mark in the meadow
2. steve in the meadow
3. steve workin it
4. mark among the wildflowers
5. sure looks like there's still a ton of snow in the sierra

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
It was great riding with you guys. Steve, I was impressed with your climbing ability after two years off. Cohenfive, nice riding with you again. The temps were hot for me. I took this picture last Tuesday, in the Tahoe back country (with my phone camera sorry). Auburn was 80+. Quite the shock to my system.

I will see you on the Tahoe Rim Trail in October.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts