Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again great people, skilled and gracious riders. Fine riding was did. You'll here about it here sooner or later. You will also see ride phtotos but not from me. Some of the best efforts were at Maria's doing battle with Dos XX. It was one pitch I cleaned with no problem!

Attachments

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
My $0.02

Nice to finally meet you Mike and great memory on the cookie recipe! You beat me by a few minutes but here is what I had prepared. About 35 people showed up for the Auburn ride today (10/21) and we started right on time. I've been wanting to find a longer route than I've been doing at Auburn recently but I was a bit skeptical about climbing out of that deep ravine right from the parking area. But it turned out to be a fairly long, but mild climb up Stagecoach to Manzanita, which was a great trail. We then took Mossy Rock and watched as several people tried to clean the whole climb. Apparently the first guy to try made it and he won some money. Somebody can post his name if they know it. We then took Upper Stagecoach and Flood up a real grind to the Foresthill Bridge. I'm extremely afraid of heights and crossing that bridge was the toughest part of this whole ride! We then took Fuel Break to Mammoth Bar and eventually made our way up to The Connector. At the end of The Connector about half the group, the "B" ride headed back, but I don't know which way.

The "A" group then sped off around FHDL, while just me in the "A- shut up and ride" group trailed behind them. However, while they were all preoccupied at the picnic bench at the far end I passed them and they didn't catch me until the end of The Connector. At the major intersection of The Connector, Clementine and Fuel Break people couldn't decide which way to head back. So I said the "shut up and ride" group would be going up Fuel Break, down Culvert, back via The Confluence, and I took off. Several people eventually took that route with me while others made their way back a couple different ways.

It was a very nice day, but slightly warm, and we moved fairly quickly. I'm not used to having people behind me so I felt a bit pushed occasionally, and I worried about blowing up a few times. However, this was my first low altitude weekend ride since mid June and the extra oxygen seemed to help me keep going. And as usual I generally kept moving when the rest of the group stopped. It was good to see a lot of faces I haven't seen in months and nice to meet many new people. Special thanks to Bigboulder for organizing and leading the ride, and being very patient with us slowpokes! I'm sure the geeks will chime in, but I heard 31+ miles and 5,300 ft. of climbing for my group. I also heard there were some mechanicals, flats and a good bit of cramping so perhaps others will chime in about them. Since I was by myself a lot I didn't get very many exciting photos. Below are a few.

In case you missed it here is the route map. It's about 2.7 meg and will print out very nicely on 8 1/2 x 14 paper in landscape mode.

Right click to download

Lots of folks showed up

Joseph da Trog making a tough uphill rock

Somebody else making it too

Imridingmybike making it up Mossy Rock

Audience for the Mossy Rock challenge

Grind to the Foresthill Bridge

Bigboulder and Joseph da Trog on the Foresthill Bridge

The river below

Baycat

Somebody climbing

Break at end of The Connector

"A" group beginning FHDL, who's that in the back?

Looking back at FHDL trail

On The Confluence

Alex on The Confluence

Obligatory bridges shot

Plug for my new bike, great for this climbing!

Some satisfied customers

At Maria's

At Maria's

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
So who cleared the Mossy rock climb? Roll call with names please cuz they deserve it. :thumbsup: Loose, narrow, technical and steep. :eek:

Especially with some of the steep pitches that followed... ouch.

We call those blow up hills :p tons'o'fun tho. And riding the rest of the trails after those hills is impressive. Cudos!

Great pics, I wish I could have been there with you.

P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey it was a great ride.....I cleared mossy rock in one shot. Used small ring in the front and fourth largest in the rear....worked like magic. Course I need to get a lighter bike to stay up with u guys.:madman:

Tim

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
For sure, was huge! What an amazing ride. A slight variation to previous routes. That much more hurt and that much more enjoyment.

Thanks BB for setting this up!

Thanks to Baycat, Berzerkeley Mike and Stalk for sharing the ride!

Thanks to imjps for pushing me on to finish!

Here's my MotionBased plot:
Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s)6:29:3412:35 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s)3:59:317:44 pace
Distance (mi )30.94
Moving Speed (mph)7.8 avg.35.3 max.
Elevation Gain (ft)+5,422 / -5,384
Temperature (°F)76.1°F avg.78.8°F high
Wind Speed ( mph)ENE 1.1 avg.ENE 5.8 max.
GPS Signal QualityGoodGPS Unit Elevation
Similar Activities My Digest TrailNetwork
Download GPS DeviceGoogle Earth
Export GPX HST CRS

·
Registered
463 Posts
more pics

Here are some pics of that nasty little hillclimb.. The winner was a guy named Tim. He was one of the first to try and cleaned it with ease. I am a former lurker (riding an EPIC with a red jersey) who came to enjoy the obvious cameradie of a bunch of mt biking freaks. :thumbsup: Thanks to all who organized this, I had an awesome time!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Thanks Big Bolder for putting this together.

1) 30+ people can be a crowd
2) Nice jersey
3) Is this the bridge you were talking about
4) No time for Maria's, but we had a few beers while waiting for the group

Attachments

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Mr.P said:
So who cleared the Mossy rock climb? Roll call with names please cuz they deserve it. :thumbsup: Loose, narrow, technical and steep. :eek:

Especially with some of the steep pitches that followed... ouch.

We call those blow up hills :p tons'o'fun tho. And riding the rest of the trails after those hills is impressive. Cudos!

Great pics, I wish I could have been there with you.

P
I made mossy rock - but it took me 3 try's. Tim busted that shyte out his first attempt.

Kudo's.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I had a blast yesterday! It was different to be on the trail with 34 other people. I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the two riders that gave me some extra water at the top of Culvert. I'm not sure what happened right about there but we lost a few people. I hope everyone made it back alright. It was nice to meet some of the people that post on here. Of course I saw a lot of faces but I'm horrible with names so I've pretty much forgotten who was who. lol One thing that I found out yesterday was some of you guys are half billy goat. My god watching some of you climb made me feel like I was standing still....um....er....maybe I was. None-the-less I went up a few trails that I've previously only ridden down and have come to the conclusion that coming down that trail from Culvert to the bridge and then down to Mossy Rock is much more fun. I'm sure if I could climb like some of the champs it wouldn't have been that bad. If there were any B riders that want to ride the Auburn area in the future I ride out there pretty much every weekend. Feel free to send me a PM. Here are a few pics I took. Since I spent most of my time sweeping up the rear...I mean looking for dropped gear...lol...I don't have many rider pics.

Off the top of FH Bridge

On the OHV trail...don't remember the name

@ the top of Connector

@ the end of the Confluence

Me​

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I stopped to admire the ravine gap, nice big one.

Great ride for a first time at Auburn. Dan thanks for driving and BB thanks for palying host! And Ebrider for the post ride refreshment.

Really enjoyed the Culvert trail going down 2x and the excellent swoopy Connector trail with lots of rolls.

Ryan

·
Banned
6,153 Posts

"Somebody making it up Mossy Rock"

That sumbody be me.

Tim made the climb first - and before anyone else got there, so no pics. I was behind him though, and can attest. He floated up that shyte on that crazy Beast of a bike he was riding. Impressive.

How many rides do we need to do together before you remember my name??

ChuckD Beyotch!​

·
Mtbr Founder
35,020 Posts
imridingmybike said:

That sumbody be me.

Tim made the climb first - and before anyone else got there, so no pics. I was behind him though, and can attest. He floated up that shyte on that crazy Beast of a bike he was riding. Impressive.

How many rides do we need to do together before you remember my name??

ChuckD Beyotch!​
Nice climb!! And very gracious to give the whole pot to someone else!!!

francois

·
Mtbr Founder
35,020 Posts
Oh whata ride. I'm still sore today. Not from the ride but from seeing this image. Just kidding Dan. It was great seeing you.

This is the best ride of the year! And it's been a great year. Sometimes, everything just clicks. Great riding and great people. Everything turned out well. And lemme tell you, that ain't easy with this many people.

Special thanks to our water angel, Monique. That 5-gallon jug of water was worth it's weight in IPA! We would have been snookered without that water.

Thanks to everyone who attended. You are part of what makes these rides special. To all my old friends and my new friends, awesome seeing you!

francois

1 - 20 of 48 Posts