Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auburn SRA is on fire. It was described as starting near Mammoth Bar and heading toward Lake Clementine, affecting the Confluence area etc. Anyone with more info let us know. Bummer man.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Watching this one from my house. Huge kudos to the fire dept, they have been bombarding it with water, retardant planes for two hours, now (around 7:30p) it appears they have it mostly under control? I saw a lot of engines heading down there as well. The smoke is now mostly white, has been for while now. Hopefully they'll put it out for good soon. Really lucky the winds are very light. My guess is it is between old foresthill rd and clementine road, right around culvert, stone wall area. I'm guessing a cigarette or fireworks from old foresthill rd. Great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was just riding out there this evening from 6:00-8:00 and it did look like the amount of smoke was dwindling, so I think they have control of it. I stayed on the Stagecoach side of the canyon due to the fire, but I think it was between the confluence and the Mammoth Bar OHV park along the middle fork. There was another fire there about 2-3 years ago.

Mark

·
openwound
580 Posts
Tuesday a.m. ride report

So they've got 49 blocked at the bridge to Cool. The signs say "road closed". I saw some walkers going through so "ass-umed"...

I rode up the climb and was passed by one civilian truck with boat coming down the hill. He must have dodged the barricades coming from the other direction. He was headed down to the lake/reservoir.

Forgive me for not knowing all the names of the trails but I'll try my best to describe where I went. From the turnout at the top where folks drop off when shuttling, I climbed on up, no fire damage at all at the top of either of the two small climbs. Down at the bottom of the second climb, where there's a collection of jumps, all that is still intact. No fire signs anywhere.

Continued all the way down to the culvert without seeing signs of fire. Then I exited the culvert. The CDF used a tractor/bulldozer to create a road for the their vehicles which means that the log jump/double right out of the culvert is gone, as are the two berms immediately after it. The 'dozer track continues for maybe another 100 feet or so, maybe a bit more right along where the trail should be, then the tracks stop and the trail resumes. The surrounding terrain is not completely burned just in spots. The trail was red with fire retardant -- hope it's not toxic... The trail is intact all the way down to the road.

As I rolled out on to the road one of the CDF guys started talking to me, not shouting, which was very nice of him, considering. I don't recall his exact words but they were to the effect that the area is being treated as a possible crime scene, only because they simply do not know the source of the fire. And until they know, they've got to treat it as such.

Bottom line: I was NOT supposed to be there. He said this as he pointed down the road to the approaching CHP and said, "He's going to tell you the same thing, but he may not be as nice." The CHP was very kind to me, too, again considering. They both instructed me that the ohv park area was closed, too. I meekly agreed to just roll down the road and get on my way. Again, both guys were very cool to me considering how stupid I'd just been...

So folks, the road closure signs don't explicitly say, "and that means no bikes!" but that's what it means.

The good news is that there won't be that much work to do getting the trail back to full rideable condition.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
voodoochild said:
So they've got 49 blocked at the bridge to Cool. The signs say "road closed". I saw some walkers going through so "ass-umed"...

I rode up the climb yadda yadda yadda...The good news is that there won't be that much work to do getting the trail back to full rideable condition.
Cool- thanks for the detailed report! :thumbsup:

fp

·
openwound
580 Posts
I would imagine that by Friday, ahem, the smoke will have cleared and you'll be able to ride there. I can't imagine that it'll be closed for that long, though I could be wrong. Perhaps there are readers who are affiliated with the law who can comment on how long an "investigation" might/could/should take?

And I'd also guess that there's got to be a web site where you can find out about road and/or park closures.

Since the confluence and the ohv park are rather popular sites I can't imagine them both being closed for the upcoming holiday weekend.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.