Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UncleMTB and I would like to do a 25-30 miler at Auburn next Saturday (12/3) and it would be nice if someone who knew the area could come along. Of course those who don't know the area are also welcome as long as they can tolerate my pace. How about a 9:30 start?
P.S. your chance to be in a video if you stick near me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Auburn sounds great...did you mean your pace is intolerably slow or the opposite? Excellent videos by the way. I may be able to generate some interest from some locals here who are familiar with Auburn. Will let you know.

Cheers,
Chip

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I'm slower than most but I can go all day.
he's not that slow!!! he's just minimizing expectations!! darn wish i could go next weekend, would love to hit auburn again but have family stuff the next couple of weekends, certainly on saturday. hopefully the weather holds and we can do another one of these later in the month.

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
I will check with my classmate and see...

Wherewolf said:
UncleMTB and I would like to do a 25-30 miler at Auburn next Saturday (12/3) and it would be nice if someone who knew the area could come along. Of course those who don't know the area are also welcome as long as they can tolerate my pace. How about a 9:30 start?
...if her group from Truckee will come down and ride/guide.
Tim

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wherewolf said:
At the moment it looks like I'm goinig to be stuck at work on Saturday, but if that changes I'd love to join you guys.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Doh!

I am out Saturday as well, too much stuff to catch up on. Have a great time - I'll have to catch the next Auburn ride....

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I'm slower than most but I can go all day.
That's NOT what SHE said :D :eek:

I don't know the trails all that great (I've been there 2x now) but I can help lead if no one else comes forward. I can also transport East Bay peeps if others want to ride with me.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Great!

You are now the official leader. I was thinking of a ride like this. If you know a better one I'd be happy to do that. But I do want to be conservative my first time there. If that goes well then perhaps we can do one of the big boy rides later on. I also want a big loop so we don't have to worry about shuttling. Get your homies together and start coordinating your car pooling. I assume the 9:30 start is OK?

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Of the 2x I've done this ride, I'd say that a start/finish at the confluence works best from a parking/logistics standpoint. It allows a group of mixed abilities many bailout points all downhill to the finish.

It does, of course, make a loop at the beginning in order to ride the stagecoach/manzanita singletrack. This IMO would be a shame to miss.

On the last couple of rides, someone has also been kind enough to stash water at points along the way and we've also been blessed by a trail angel who has transported food and water to the top of foresthill. While it will be cooler this time and we will be taking it a little slower which means needing less water, it will also mean having to carry all of our own food/water/gear round trip.

On the downside of me being a ride leader, I don't have maps or know the names of many of the trails. Does anybody have any of the maps that were used for the last Auburn/BB ranch ride?

edit: found some of 0gre's links from a previous post:

https://ogrehut.net/Tree//Sierra-Central/.big_AuburnRoute.jpg

https://ogrehut.net/Tree//Sierra-Central/ForestHillSide.gif

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Wherewolf said:
It's not a week long trip, just 5 to 6 hours :confused:
I carry all that stuff with me all the time and I have never run out of water. And please, no hour long lunch stop.
Don't take it so personal, I was making a comment for a large cross section of MTBRites to read. Besides, I don't think the lunch stops have ever been an hour - usually more like 15 min - which may seem like an eternity if you're a hammerhead.

While you may have never run out of water, I have on a couple of occasions emptied a 100oz bladder AND 2 bottles but it typically happens in the heat of summer. It is a disconcerting experience.

When we rode Auburn in March, I was almost out of water 1/4 of the ride in and again at the lunch stop. The ride a few weeks ago, I had plenty of water at the half-way but filled up anyway to be sure to have enough to get through.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
On the downside of me being a ride leader said:
I know about 90+% of the trails in Auburn and I have done different loops in the area. I'd love to join your group, but I'm pretty slow when it comes to climbing. A good loop that is about 25 miles would start at the bottom of the Confluence, riding up Clementine, take the Connector Trail to the Forest Hill Divide Loop, back on the Connector Trail to Tunnel Loop Trail, and then down the Confluence Trail back to the car. It's like a huge figure 8. I've only it done it once, and I was whipped. I have a couple of friends that are stronger than me, and know the area just as much or better. I could probably convince them to come along as a back-up.

Let me know.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
BaileyDog said:
I know about 90+% of the trails in Auburn and I have done different loops in the area. I'd love to join your group, but I'm pretty slow when it comes to climbing. A good loop that is about 25 miles would start at the bottom of the Confluence, riding up Clementine, take the Connector Trail to the Forest Hill Divide Loop, back on the Connector Trail to Tunnel Loop Trail, and then down the Confluence Trail back to the car. It's like a huge figure 8. I've only it done it once, and I was whipped. I have a couple of friends that are stronger than me, and know the area just as much or better. I could probably convince them to come along as a back-up.

Let me know.
Sounds like the loop I'm describing with the wagonwheel trail thrown in for fun.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wherewolf said:
You guys need to get your priorities straight ;)
Of course any of you could propose a ride sometime :p
Yeah yeah, go ahead and rub it in ;) unfortunately for me I do need to pay the bills and fund the habit. So more than likely it will be off to work come Saturday. So I want to see plenty of good pics so I know exaclty what I missed :D

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Wherewolf said:
FYI,
If weather is a concern, NOAA is predicting potentially 2 to 4 days of rain in Auburn and even chances of rain on the 3rd. If it rains as much as they are saying, the trails will by pretty sloppy. I was on the trails last weekend and they were grippy with some areas a little slick. The Connector trail and portions of the Divide Loop Trail don't handle water well.

Here is the link if you are interested in checking it out.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forec...61&wfo=sto&dgtl=1&lat=38.89667&lon=-121.07583

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.