Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Auburn Culvert Trail Workday - RESCHEDULED for 4/5!

If you want to pitch in and help with one of the best flow trails in the Sac/Auburn area - here's your chance. FATRAC is teaming with Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship (think Downieville trails) to give Culvert some much-needed TLC. This Saturday

Details and Sign-up is here: http://sierratrails.org/events/auburn_culvert_trail_workday

Sez they'll be full once they get 50 people signed up.

For those of you opting out of the volunteer effort, keep in mind Culvert will NOT be very flowy this Saturday with 50 people working on it.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Are we talking TLC or completely rebuilding the "new section" that FTA and other trail groups worked together to build?
Resetting the apex on some turns to make them less squared off, compacting some turns, solving some drainage and off camber issues.

The worn-in line over the last year and some wear have shown where the work needs to be done to improve the trail.

P

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
The current rain is making the dirt primo for working and the tornado (which went directly over the top of my house!) is whipping the trail into shape.

Hoping for no rain on Saturday, but otherwise the stars are in alignment.

So much work went into just being able to lift a shovel for this... so sign up! ...Unless you like braking bumps in a burm. (who brakes in a turn...?)

P

·
mtb'er
4,309 Posts
The plan is to meet at ABW at 9 and work most of the day... with a beer bash after. If you roll in around Noon, no problem. You still might register on the website though (the nature of volunteering these days). Auburn Culvert Trail Workday | Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship

If you want me to call or text you (or vice versa) with an update on when we should wrap up, shoot me a PM. Thanks for offering to help, even if timing doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Question: will there be future SBTS/FATRAC trailwork days on Culvert? I'd love to join in on 4/5, but family obligations will keep me away that day.

Thanks for taking the lead on this FATRAC + SBTS. I am sure you'll do great work out there!

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
@memine - I am not sure, if we pull enough helpers, we should be able to complete what needs to be done.

@brewtality - there was some serious effort to get approval to get shovels in the ground. And there is a ton of correction work that needs to be done on a lot of trails, but it seems the hurdles for getting on the trail are getting higher and higher. We want to be out there more, but we are not in control of that. We are trying to improve the process as well so we can get more work done. I say this so people take advantage of the trail days that are in place - as they are fewer than what we need.

And to add, when the dirt dies out in late spring to summer, digging is off until the next rainy season.

P

·
mtb'er
4,309 Posts
^ Re: Culvert+FATRAC+SBTS+anyone-who-would-like-to-lend-a-hand: I believe they are trying to crank out the current laundry list of repairs in one big day, but its safe to say additional work days will be scheduled if needed. I don't believe any extra Culvert days are planned right now. There will be a (or some) upcoming FHDT trailwork day(s), again with SBTS' help. FATRAC will get that date(s) out once State Parks green lights it.

Part of this agonizingly slow process is earning the trust of State Parks, in terms of trail work knowledge, skills, certifications, etc. so we don't have to jump through all these hoops to get trail work days on the calendar and get stuff done (kinda like equestrians apparently do?). We're getting closer to that, but like everything, it just takes time. The SBTS-coordinated trail work that has happened in Granite Bay (decommissioning user made shortcuts) has been evaluated as "textbook" from CSP, so we're getting there...

Re: "Thanks for taking the lead on this FATRAC + SBTS. I am sure you'll do great work out there!" As you probably know, everyone involved with planning and doing legal trail work absolutely strives to do "great work" for the benefit of everyone. Regardless, with an infinite number of opinions about what the end result should look like and ride like, there will always be plenty of people criticizing the work. This is my 3rd least favorite thing about mt. bikers. Somehow it all works out though... and those that like to dig get to dig, and those that like to ride get to ride it, and those that like to complain get to complain ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.