Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from a ride around sly park and it was cold muddy and icy, so I'm hoping to find some better conditions in the area for a ride tomarrow or the next day... I'm just getting the feeling back in my toes.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
We rode Olmstead over the weekend. The first half of the loop (assuming a counter clockwise ride) was great riding. Only a few puddles (though they were pretty icy), and overall dry. The back half, however..wow. Once you get to the double track sections with the thick dirt (in the summer), it gets REALLY thick and slow mud. I haven't ridden many times when my bike packed up with that much mud.

I rode Foresthill Divide Loop the weekend prior and it's pretty soggy, especially on the climb up the singletrack at Drivers Flat Rd. It was also icy that day in the shady spots, but that was prior to the current freeze we're experiencing. It was dry for the most part though - only muddy in a few spots. Since it's been two weeks or so without rain, it's probably dried up considerably by now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
not too muddy

I rode the Trifecta today - stagecoach/clementine, connector, fdlt. I did skip the section Sonic metioned right before the top of FDLT near Driver's Flat. I rode the road for that section as it's always a mess during the winter. I would say that 85% of the trail is dry and 15% is muddy. Not too bad, but you'll get muddy. Good trail for the singlespeed. No cold toes though.:)

Mark

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You will find that

When we have the freeze...trails like FDLT and Connector will stay wet, muddy and soggy in a lot of places even when we are not getting much rain. There is a constant flow of melting ice during the day that saturates the trail....if you have been out there in the last couple days you have seen this...

Here is the deal...please don't widen the trail by riding around mud puddles or muddy sections. Go straight through it (stay off the brakes), over it:D or get off your bike and portage it (carry the bike) around that section of trail....tread delicatley.

notice i said please

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
mtb_Canuck said:
Better yet get out there early!! I did a big ride in Auburn this morning when most of the singletrack was still frozen. Frozen mud = clean bike!
You run over any frozen horse puckey? I hit a frozen turd over the weekend - that was a weird feeling not squishing through it but rolling over it :lol:

·
Registered
575 Posts
My Sister In Law Just Moved To Auburn Lake Trails And I Was Wondering If There Is An Organized Ride In The Area? Went To The Lbs And Got A Map.what Is The Best Loop Or Trail In The Rec. Area? Thanks

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Cambria (off hwy 49 in Auburn by..the furniture store? was a riebes a LOONG time ago) does organized weekly rides. They're good guys.

My favorite trail up there is the Divide Loop, the cool thing about ASRA is that most trails link together somehow so you can leave from Auburn, ride down in to the canyon and string together a sweet loop, as short or as long as you want.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You could do most of the major trails out there in about 35 miles. I've almost done that but not quite yet. That's my springtime goal. Post here when you're in town and somebody will probably ride with ya. If I had one ride to do in Auburn I'd park at the bottom go up clem > take the road to FHDL > Connector > Culvert > Confluence. I think that's around 23miles. The first 10 of it's pretty much uphill. Once you hit the middle of FHDL it's all fun from there!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Typically Tues 6:00, various Auburn locations. Weds 7:00, Granite Bay. Thurs 6:30, various Auburn locations. 15-20 miles cross country on moderate to technical trails. Rides vary, usually something other than std ASRA trails mentioned. PM for details.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.