Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: Non-cycling content ahead.

Today, I won a competitive athletic event for the first time in my life. I place first in my division and third overall out of 62 entrants in the 10K Knickerbocker Canyon Trail Race out of Cool, California.

The course is an intense 6.7 mile loop that descends some 1500' early in the race, only to climb about this same amount on the infamous K2 ascent. K2 is basically like running up stairs of a ~90 story building in the middle of a foot race.

My strategy for K2 was to jog it at a slow, even pace, where others would alternate running and walking different sections. It seemed to work as I pulled ahead of many racers on this section.

The course had lots of mud, rocks and stream crossings to navigate, which I find to be a lot of fun, as this allowed me to use some of my experience mountain biking; I am used to picking lines.

I am very happy :) Who says you can't be a committed athlete in your late 40s? Next up: I start planning for longer trail races (half marathon and 30K).

medal.jpg

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been fun discovering all the *other* trails in ASRA (ones not open to bikes) in recent months. Pioneer Express, Robie, WST, Pointed Rocks/K2, Quarry, etc. A whole other dimension to this park I was not familiar with until I started trail running there recently.

It's also gorgeous this time of year.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Sorry but I'm a New England native :) If it helps, I find all of MLB extremely boring.

Next up: Folsom Lake Trail Run. I was going to do the Shasta Lemurian, but I have my kids that weekend so I need to stick closer to home. Excited for my first 1/2 marathon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts