Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question...how long did it take you guys to break the fork in. I've heard that this fork takes a little bit of time to break in but I've been on mine for about 60 mi. on some pretty rocky stuff and it still seems as stiff as the day I got it. And yes, I've twisted out the adjustment knob out on the bottom of the right fork leg, (it got plusher) but the thing is still stiff as hell, I've even decreased the air pressure below the recommended amount for my weight...

So what's the word, am I being impatient and need to ride the sucker harder, and longer before it gets more plush or is this just how the fork is? Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Iam riding a 55 eta, has maybe 150 miles on it.
When i purchased the fork i wanted to make sure the fork was getting full travel. From some of the posts i've read on this forum people have experienced some hydrolic lockout on the tst cart. Initially the 55 was good, after removing the top nut on the coil side of the fork i could compress the fork to the dust wipers. However after the riding the fork for a few months I noticed it was considerably stiffer and wasn't getting full travel. After removing top nut again i couldn't get the last 30mm of travel out of the fork. Sent fork back to Marzocchi, seems the oil levels in the tst cart are off. They are also waiting on new parts.
This was for the ETA model but i would be suspicous of all tst.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
response

well, I just called tech support at Marzocchi USA, they told me that I should try running the fork with no air at all. Sounds strange since the tech manual recommends at least 40-60psi for my weight...I don't think I've even bottomed out the fork yet.

Thing is, I've owned Marzocchi forks before and they tend to break in by now (60+ mile mark). This thing still runs super stiff...I dont know man, I have my doubts as to the validity of Marzocchi Tech Support telling me that the solution is to not run any air at all, it contradicts what the tech manual states.

Any other suggestions? input?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but if your oil level is off, it will affect the travel? also there may be something in the fork obstructing the oil from moving from chamber to champer?

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I have the 55R and it took almost 3 mos of riding to get it to where it felt "normal". Same with my 66SL, the air seals just seem to take a long time to break in. I had to run the 66 with only 15lbs in the pos. and maxed out the neg. chamber. I ran the 55 at the same pressure for a while then bumped it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.