Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Committed
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XT front derailleurs need a minor modification to work properly with the new 5 Spot. The dual pull arm on the derailleur (allowing it to work as a top or bottom pull) will contact the rear triangle near full compression. The fix is simple, just dremmel or hacksaw the extra little arm off of the derailleur. I modded two of these for our new bikes and it takes about 10 minutes max if you want to do a clean job.
I have attached a couple of photos to show what needs to be done. I couldn't get a clean shot of the modded derailleur on the bike, but if needed I can pull one off for more photos.
The first pic is stock, the second pic shows where to make the cut and the 'X' designates the part to be removed.
I'd be happy to answer anyone's further questions about this.

Attachments

·
Committed
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mountain flow said:
Thanks for the info. Forums are great for saving folks alot of trial and error! I assume the Sultan will end up with a similar conflict.

Do you know the number on that front derailer (ex M771)?
It is a M771.
I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea pull the top shock bolt and cycle the rear end to check for contact w/ these derailluers and the new DW Turners.
Not sure if the Spot is only one of the new bikes affected by this.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
1soulrider said:
I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea pull the top shock bolt and cycle the rear end to check for contact w/ these derailluers and the new DW Turners.
That statement is always true, for any bike being built from the frame up.

But boy, it's easy to forget, especially if you're racing sunset, trying to get out on that first ride! :D

This little tidbit might be good to have on the Turner website, but I'm sure DT and/or one of his guys will weigh in on this tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1soulrider, thanks for posting. After reading your post I checked my (large) 09 Flux and I got the same problem with a XTR M971 Front Derailleur. The derailleur arm extension for bottom pull clearly contracts the rear at or rather a little before full suspension compression. Your little fix works like a charm though - it solved the problem for me.

·
Committed
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copenhagen said:
1soulrider, thanks for posting. After reading your post I checked my (large) 09 Flux and I got the same problem with a XTR M971 Front Derailleur. The derailleur arm extension for bottom pull clearly contracts the rear at or rather a little before full suspension compression. Your little fix works like a charm though - it solved the problem for me.
Glad I was able to help!
The Turner website has a much nicer description of the mod, for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.